Old 09-25-2007   #1
Park City, Utah
Paddling Since: 2001
Info Needed for Royal Gorge

Last weekend my girlfriend and I successfully did Pinnicle to Parkdale without any problems. The water level was about 470 CFS, and it was kind of boney in some sections. Now we are wanting to take it one step further and try and do Royal Gorge. I had already done Pinnicle to Parkdale 4 or 5 times before I did it with her, so I wasn't too worried about it, since I somewhat knew the river. But I have never done the Gorge. So I was wondering what the Gorge would be like at this water level? My girlfriend is on a inflatable sit-on top kayak, and only had problems with 3 rocks last weekend. Is the Gorge more like the bottom section near Parkdale, a little more narrow, and not as rocky? Are there any holes or anything to worry about at such a low flow rate?

Thanks for any info - SCitter

BullSCit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007   #2
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Send a message via AIM to J
Sunshine at this level would give you some trouble in a sit on top. It can be walked though. The Gorge is definitely a step up from the Parkdale run. Others will have to comment on the rest of the rapids... I haven't been down there in a while.

J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007   #3
Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
gorge can be a long paddle for somebody thats not quite ready and deffenite step up ive seen good paddlers swim in here so i personally wouldn't do it. i would practice more on pinnicle specially if that was her first time down you can always make it harder by catching more eddies and just harder lines in general gorge is a different world than having the highway right next to you.
caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007   #4
pnw, Washington
I would say it is more like 3 rocks and sharks tooth. Sunshine is at one of its toughest flows. My advice would be to go up river and do Browns first.
"Yesterday I was clever and tried to change the world. Today I am wise and try to change myself." -Rumi
gh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007   #5
Self-Aggrandizing jackass
The Ranch, Colorado
Paddling Since: 04
There are two problems that the Gorge presents that make me want to discourage you from going with your GF.

First, swims in Gorge tend to be more dangerous than Parkdale. The construction in the Gorge has left many sharp rocks and in places, rebar rods.

Second, once you're in the Gorge, you're in the Gorge. Yeah, you can walk out on the railroad tracks, but it's not the same as hiking up to Hwy 50. The Gorge is a commitment.

At this flow, Gorge is not too much different than Parkdale's Spikebuck and Shark's Tooth. However, Sunshine, as mentioned, is a terrible, terrible hole at this flow. Had a guy stuck in it for over a minute (in his boat) a couple of weeks ago, and he finally flushed out. As mentioned, you can walk Sunshine, but if you're not with an experienced Gorge runner, how will you know where it is.

Also, Wallslammer is imposing for a beginner, and it's not the easiest paddle if you're inexperienced. There's also an undercut there if you're swimming.

I'd recommend running Parkdale more, trying to catch the eddies right below 3 Rocks, running the right line on Spikebuck, and trying to catch the eddy behind the Shark's Tooth itself. If you go Gorge, take an expert who can help.

You might consider running the Lower Blue, too - as it's pretty safe, nice looking run, and it's different.
"self-aggrandizing jackass" - it says it right on the label
heliodorus04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007   #6
Eagle, Idaho
Paddling Since: '78
I wouldn't recommend it. Mayyybe if you had a Gorge vet. to lead the way. As mentioned, you're committed. Sunshine, Sledgehammer, and Wallslammer are a little technical at these flows. A little pushier, bigger sharper rocks/holes, with higher swim consequences than Parkdale.
GoodTimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007   #7
I can speak from experience here and I would say don't do it. A few years ago my wife and I rented a two person ducky and I took her down Browns run. She (we) did excellent and cleany cheffed up the whole run and even had some agressive lines and eddy hopiing along the way. I was so impressed that I suggested the gorge for the next day. At that time I had run the gorge at least 10 times andwe did it at around 1200, which is well known to be the easiest level, witht he lower and higher flows being more challenging. We did make it through but had an ugly swim at Sunshine, the sit on tops are just too slow. We survived of course but at the cost of having a bad time, scaring my girl and turning her off of kayaking. A better decision would have been to run Browns again, where we would have had fun and remained dry and just been relaxed. The gorge can be an omnious place for beginners who might describe the run less as "fun" and more as a deep, dark place that's a little scary.
Does this condom make me look fat?
De la Boot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007   #8
Park City, Utah
Paddling Since: 2001
Thanks for all the info

I think we are going to do Browns now. I have never done Browns, how would you compare it to Pinnicle and are there any places to look out for?
BullSCit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007   #9
Self-Aggrandizing jackass
The Ranch, Colorado
Paddling Since: 04
Browns at this level is low, but really quite safe and pretty easy. Again, though, I would recommend a Brown's vet (and I might just volunteer - PM me and we'll discuss it) because you'll want to know where to get out to scout Zoom Flume. And at this flow, I think Pinball is actually its hardest, but not too hard. Everything else should compare very similarly to Pinnacle, but a prettier canyon (and also one hard to get out of in terms of walking, but not as bad as the Gorge - and you're much less likely to get scared in Browns, both of you).

It could take a long damn time, however - and remember that it's going to be considerably colder water and air up there.
"self-aggrandizing jackass" - it says it right on the label
heliodorus04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007   #10
nowhere, Colorado
if you guys go I might want to join if possible? I have done Browns(1200), #'s (1100), Parkdale(2300), just to give you an idea of my experience

tress33 is offline   Reply With Quote