Old 09-26-2007   #11
303, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Hey guys! I guided browns this year and have kayaked it many times.
I have not paddled it as low as it is right now... but i have a little beta for you:
Put in at Ruby Mtn. the stuff from Fish Bridge to ruby is very shallow and rocky right now.

Pinball: lots of enter into pin ball through canyon doors, a lateral wave/little hole...punch the hole and paddle on...there are many rocks and usually some screwy water around them...lean into rocks and brace...if you flip the water is moving pretty slow so you have plenty of time to roll...tuck quick, i bet it is getting shallow in there.

Zoom flume: If need be, scout left. You know you are at it because you come around a corner and the river does an s turn...big eddy on the left rock wall on the right...walk down and scout. The easy or ducky line at a little higher level is closer to the right. The meat line is center left to right...go right of the big rock in the middle at the bottom (pinnacle rock). The meat line may be the only thing with enough water to run.

big drop: canyon turns to the right run it will see a big pour over or rock center left at the bottom run left of it. you might be able to run the whole thing on the right as well, but again it is probably way too low to do that.

stair case: long wave train...will notice this because the canyon walls get pretty tall.
Run them mostly down the center, avoid rocks in the drops towards the bottom of the stair case

Widow maker: right after the stair case around the corner is widow maker...this is more awful for rafts...don’t swim here either it is yucky. there are lots of rocks at the beg but as you get further into the rapid you will see a big rock in the center of the river...this is usually covered with water to the left of that is toilet center right close to the rock in the center...after that cut back left behind a big coffin shaped rock...then follow the current. The right side of the rapid can get sieved out at some levels.

Raft ripper:
I heard this one gets creeky...I am not sure of the line, I was told you might have to run this one center left...usually we run it center right to left. Maybe someone else has a good idea.

I hope that was of some help!
I really am just bored so i kind of got carried away

"I would lick it up if it weren't all glassified and on concrete"
CUkayakGirl is offline   Reply With Quote