Mountain Buzz banner

Independence Pass snowpack . . .

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  marko 
#1 ·
I noticed that Brumley (Independence Pass) has about 50% of its average snowpack compared to the entire Arkansas basin's 86%. How influential is Independence's snowpack on the Ark's season longevity? I am assuming Independence's snow is what refills the res below Lake Creek.

Maybe that 86% is misleading if much of it is downstream of the numbers, etc.

#2 ·
A bigger snow pack up there would be nice but it doesn't depend on it. The Leadville area is definitely a bigger factor. As far as filling up Twin Lakes goes (below LAke Creek) That res is filled up by the water they steal from the Roaring Fork (Pan Ark) project. The latest I have heard is that they should have enough water as of right now to guarantee 700CFS into Aug.

But why stop there. It can still snow a lot more. The snow pack recovered quite a bit from one week a moisture. (Check out the Ark snow pack graph)

Keep thinking snow/rain !!! It ain't over until I am still kayaking down Pine Creek at 150 CFS. Speaking of that its at 180...gotta go boatin.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.