Old 07-15-2009   #51
pine, Colorado
Paddling Since: 93
Ahh Mikey Good to hear from you

Yes this guy might be an asshole, yes throwing rocks may be illegal I am not justifying their actions. I am simply pointing out the fact that Jen and her friends instigated the entire situation and continually escalated it by not leaving. In these situations typically both parties are at some fault but neither one sees the others position (see the guy with the gun on the Ark). It may be my boating skills that gives boaters a bad name, but I doubt it's my not jumping on the "put this guy out of business" bandwagon that does. I am also pointing out that technically if he owns both sides of the river and your eddied out drinking on his property that is not legal. As shitty as we all think it is that the water law here in our great Green Plate State. So yes this guy might be a dick and maybe so am I. But accountabilty needs to be taken by more than one party in this incident.

If you were me, would that make me you?
Would that mean that I would look like a schoolgirl?
And you would be at the HIV fest at Mish without a boat!

class 3 felon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009   #52
Portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2000
Makes me thankful that in Oregon you can only own down to the high water mark on navigable rivers.

Mr Beaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009   #53
BOth sides were in the wrong, but Just to clarify a few things for you, an eddy and all the water in the entire river is public property. The rocks are private, so as long as no one touches rocks, the shore, or the river bed it is not trespassing. When the rocks were being thrown the raft and its occupants were in the eddy, 30 yards downstream of the mish, and they were not touching land. There is also no justification of force if there is no threat to yourself or your property, and here the threat was clearly over. You just can't throw rocks at people who upset you. Especially rocks the size of a fist. I also don't think taking the time to put on PFD's before continuing downstream was instigating or exacerbating the situation.
BrianK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009   #54
cedar city, Utah
Originally Posted by caspermike View Post
so assualt and battery with a deadly weapon is nothing to joke about. class three if i were you i would give up your gear and go join the HIV fest at the Mish. you give boaters a bad name.
Threads degenerate fast at the Buzz, don't they. Sounds like the original poster has some accountability to own up to and boaters might want to stop poaching the Mish if they want relationships with the establishment to get better. That said, the felony satire was definitely over the top (as satire often is). The rock throwing was unwarranted and dangerous and filing complaints seems legit. That said it seems both sides of the dispute should have just forgone the petty crap and gone to the cops in the first place.

Am I the only one that sees some sad irony in the statement above? Joking about being assaulted with a rock isn't funny but calling something "HIV fest" is? Sounds like more than one boater gives the sport a bad name. Been tracking this thread, the Ark campsite debate, and the rafters vs. kayakers thread at the same time. Reminds why I boat in small parties with people I can trust with decision making, who have an iota of integrity, and treat others with a fair share of compassion. Never had an incident with anybody on the river and I am thinking the people I choose to boat with have helped create that reality.
restrac2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009   #55
Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
CEDAR UTAH,you ever visit the mish? enough said.
caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009   #56
Steamboat, Colorado!
Paddling Since: 2005
Brian, Joe and I all recognize that we were not in the right... Duh we were trying to see a few songs for free! We have done this in the past and it was not a problem. Either way you can't throw rocks at people, 4 year olds know better. The security chased us well below their property and me and those dudes had a chat on the bank and they admitted that they were out of control and I admitted we were trespassing.

The point of the post is to warn others from making the same "mistake" and to reiterate the Gnarrows race crew's sentiment about the Mish sucking.
jen84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009   #57
Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
I just hope that if Robin and his lawyers read this post they realize just who they are messing with - the staff of Rocky Mountain Adventures! Get 'em with your red and white paddles guys!

Fuck the Mish forever.
Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009   #58
cedar city, Utah
Originally Posted by caspermike View Post
CEDAR UTAH,you ever visit the mish? enough said.
Only once, long time ago. Lived in Front Range for almost ten years base camping for adventures before jobs took me out to Utah. Many of my friends have lived in that area for multiple decades and know the establishment well (none are HIV+ by the way). Anything else you would like to dismiss?

Actually reread Jen's message and realized I got sidetracked by the virulent responses. Hope the situation works out best for those who are actively trying to seek a constructive solution; animosity b/w organizations and communities like this situation highlights really can suck and get out of control.

Caspermike, do you not find your remark rather disgusting, ironic (ie not funny like the one your were trying to dismiss), and completely insulting? I always find it rather amazing how people use the internet to vent such hateful garbage. If you actually live half the way you talk on this forum then I can honestly say I hope you survive your twenties well enough to have a descent reputation and community intact. Lame stunts like these can haunt you longer than you realize. Best of luck mate and hope you avoid any sort of karmic retribution for your flippant remarks.
restrac2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009   #59
Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
like i said the mich sucks worse than your uppity mish bull shit. when you are a paying customer and you ahve beer sprayed over your food you had already paid for and he's not willing to man up. he doesn't deserve respect in any maner. as we all know as of this point in time(not ten years ago) the mish is a bunch of meth heads. obviously. as for anything else i don't please others i please myself. you might want to learn that lesson in life sometime soon. you might also want to relearn the lesson of bros before hoes. you have an assualted boater you are pretty much denying. shit a turd dude. get a grip and grow a sack. mish is meth stay away

id kick my own ass before ever going back to the mish

i apologize for the HIV remark that was overboard. but so was rock throwing. guess ill chille for a little more.
caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009   #60
Buena Vista, Colorado
I'll tell ya'll something. I came up to run the Pooder in my crick boat last year and dropped into that there Mishawaka and had a great time. I mainlined some good crystal in the portopotty, had me a purdy good fancy resrant hamburger, and watched some rafters float by in their big fancy yeller boats. (The guy with the mustache looks like a movie star!)

I don't see what the big deal is. They threw a few rocks. Trespass 'round my place and I'll throw a car battery, a rock, my old lady, anything I can git ahold of at ya. If I could afford a gun I'd shoot you trespassers dead but I just can't afford one after that burger at the Mish.

Jen, you sound like a nice lady. You want to git together with me and watch a movie? Maybe we could go git a 7 and 7 and do some meth sometime...

Grif is offline   Reply With Quote