Improvements Golden Kayak Course
The City of Golden is committed to annual repairs, maintenance and improvement of the Kayak Park. These improvements are based on user group suggestions, engineering recommendations and budget. In March the City retained REP and Left Hand Excavating to complete 2010 schedule.
This work included
1) Bank retention and stabilization of the put-in area.
2) Bolstering of the river left wing (that was previously built up by hand placed rocks) on the third drop which will increase the dynamic power of that drop at lower flows.
3) Rehabilitation of the bleacher hole including changes in geometry, pool configuration, and orientation.
4) Replacing random boulders to optimize slalom opportunities in the pool below the bleacher hole.
5) Creation of a meandering pilot channel, replacement of low deflectors, and placement of random boulders in the “beginner” area between the pedestrian bridge and the Library Hole. The work included additional terracing just upstream of the pedestrian bridge to increase access and decrease erosion, plus minor improvements just upstream of the Library Hole to facilitate access.
Parks, Cemetery and Forestry Manager
[Admin note - revised email address to mitigate spambot harvesting]