Old 06-23-2008   #1
pnw, Washington

I had this when I first started paddling and I improved my form and did some stretching, ice and strength stuff and it went away. Obviously I am slacking again and its back. Anybody been to rehab/dr recently and have any new kernels of wisdom on how to make this go away, quickly?

"Yesterday I was clever and tried to change the world. Today I am wise and try to change myself." -Rumi
gh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008   #2
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Do rotator cuff band exercises (internal/external rotation). Helps for everything.

stubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008   #3
Having just been through a shoulder surgery where a large impingement was part of my problem, my understanding is that not all of them can be treated by rehab/non-surgical means. Apparently many athletes who participate in overhead or shoulder rotation type sports have these bone spurs. Many of us have them and don't even know it, because it does not cause pain. But when they get large enough that they put constant pressure on the rotator cuff, they may have to be removed. They were going in to fix my labrum anyway, so they took it out. In my case, the spur was causing me more pain than the cartilage tear. If it's bad enough, they may want to go in orthoscopically and clean it up.

Your doc might also suggest cortisone shots as a non-surgical option, and I'd be cautious about this. They seem to freely prescribe this, but my surgeon friends tell me to be really careful about getting more than one or a couple because it will eventually lead to break down of the joint and possibly arthritis later on. So do a lot of research and ask a lot of questions before going this route.

I'm not suggesting that surgery is your option but in my case, the spur would not have gone away without it. I had tried rehab/PT for nearly a year before deciding to have the whole thing fixed up. I'm not totally out of pain yet, but part of it is my own fault for rehabbing a little too hard (tendinitis). Otherwise, the surgery was successful. Looking forward to pain-free paddling soon.
holley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008   #4
Vail, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Really go back to your stretching. A great one for this is to stand in a doorway with your hands at shoulder level, arms out, and lean gently forward into the open door. I also agree with just your basic band exercises to keep those little muscles around the shoulder strong which in turn supports your shoulder and rotator cuff when you go to throw a wicked high brace or roll in strong current.

If you are like most people who have a mild case that only really is a problem when you slack, you should be fine just getting back with your old program. If it doesn't go away with stretching or exercises then it might be worse like Holley said. It might also help to rest but I would never actually suggest that in this water year!!! Stretch on, brother!
KimW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008   #5
pnw, Washington
Thanks for the advice. Stretching, rotater cuff, advil seems to be making headway thanks.
Holley, hope you are back on the water pain free soon. I have had my fill of surgeries so working hard on the other options and no cortisone for me. I may end up in OR again someday, but not today if I can avoid it.
"Yesterday I was clever and tried to change the world. Today I am wise and try to change myself." -Rumi
gh is offline   Reply With Quote