Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 10-22-2009   #11
Indian Hills, Colorado
Originally Posted by glenn View Post
Most most thru hikers I saw were incredibly depressed and malnourished on the trail.
That's where the peanut butter comes in. I'm not familiar with any other product that offers the same cost/weight/calorie/protein content ratio of peanut butter. The ultimate provision for long distance eastern hiking.

DanOrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009   #12
Heading north on the AT from Georgia in March is much more of a people than natural experience.

cadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009   #13
Golden, CO
Paddling Since: 1856
I wouldn't forgo paddling. There will be plenty of stuff running from GA to Maine. Do some networking on Boatertalk or some of the other message boards. I bet you would find plenty of folks willing to pick you up at the trail and loan you a boat and equipment for a day or two.
FrankC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009   #14
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Send a message via AIM to craven_morhead
If you're set on thru-hiking, be especially careful about injuries. I have a number of friends whose thru-hikes have been cut short due to nagging injuries. And nagging fiancées, but that's a different matter.
craven_morhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009   #15
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Originally Posted by Snowhere View Post
What I mean is are you going to cache supplies (doubtful) or just plan on where you can resupply. To tell the truth, I have never looked into the trail but I assume you can get supplies on route.
Most people make re-supply packages and have a friend send them to way points during the hike. It's a big planning effort to figure out how many days of supplies and what supplies to put in each box. There are places along the trail (or within a few miles of it) that will hold the boxes for a few days or a week.

Ray Jardine wrote a book about how he and his wife did the AT, PCT, and CDT. This is a link to the new edition. There is a lot of useful info there - at least here was in the last edition - i haven't looked at the new one yet.

Amazon.com: Trail Life: Ray Jardine's Lightweight Backpacking (978096323597: Ray Jardine: Books
raftus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009   #16
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1901
Two pieces of advice:

1. Go light. If you're thinking about doing the AT, hopefully you've done some long-distance hikes and know this already, but the name of the game is covering miles, and it's much easier to do with a light pack. It also makes the experience much more enjoyable without 80lbs on your back.

2. Hiking poles.

Wish I had the time. Have fun!
cuzin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009   #17
H2 Hoes
Kayak, Colorado
hiking is for for people who cant party, partying is for people who kayak. Boating season is short take advantage of it.

Hey im just joking have a great time carry lots of hard booze beer is heavy
West Slope
hartle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009   #18
travelling, around
Paddling Since: 83
Take a packraft

An idea would be to take a packraft and float some of the big rivers parallel to the trail, esp. in VA and run some cool creeks (like Hazel) in NC.

Anyway, it'd be sorta cool to mix up trail walking with paddling. You could get away with just a boat (under 5 lbs), a Sawyer Paddle (under 2 lbs) and an LTI Livery PFD (under 1 lb) -- so that's a whole boating package for under 10 lbs and get off those sore feet every week or so.....

If I were 30 years younger.....
cold77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009   #19
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Send a message via AIM to J
I attempted a thru hike in 97. Went north, made it to Erwin TN, which somewhere around 300 miles before I broke my foot. Stress fracture. There were at least 3 others up to that point that year that had to end their hike due to stress fractures. The point is, pack light, take your time, and plan rest days esp at the beginning while your body is adjusting.

You'll walk right through the NOC and can get a boating fix there. As for farther north, I'll have to write back when I complete it...

Have a blast! You are gonna meet lots of great people, lots of freaks, and some down right frightening creatures. The time I did spend was awesome and I would (will) do it again in a heartbeat... as soon as I finish things like raising my kids!
J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009   #20
G-Town, North Carolina
Paddling Since: 2009
I've done sections but a thru hike is a dream. Wish I could do it but my wife and the kids need to eat. I live out here in NC. Shoot me a message with some dates and I'd be happy to get you a resupply.

Note - make sure you check the springs you'll rely on for water with USGS. We've been pretty dry here for a couple of years and some good springs aren't consistent right now. I've been carrying more water because I've seen several 'good' springs dry this year. We're supposed to have a wet winter, so that may improve. Who knows.

As for boating, I've got some extra gear and a boat or two out in the shed. You'll be going through an area with some prime water at a great time. If you need a ww fix I might be able to hook you up.

gtkelly is offline   Reply With Quote