Old 03-08-2011   #1
Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 2008
Im 6'6" can I fit in a salto?

hey everyone, I am six foot six and am looking for a new creeker. there is a used salto for sale near me and I was wondering if there are any tall guys out there that have used one. I have never been in one so anything would help

buknhuk146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011   #2
doesn't need a fake name
Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Greetings, fellow tall paddler! Good luck finding a good boat. Let me know if the salto ends up working for you. Personally, I am 6'7", and I paddle a Fluid Solo large, but it's a little small. I have a Fluid Big Bang on the way, and I am highly optimistic that it will fit even better.

Of course I realize that this has nothing to do with what you actually asked about, but it's rare to find other paddlers that are over 6 feet, so I thought I'd commiserate. Even further off topic, do you playboat? What playboat do you use?

leif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011   #3
Bozeman, Montana
I have not playboated very much, but i have demoed a wavesport fuse 56, I was tight but did end up fitting ok. the fuse isnt a straight up play boat but it is nice for taller guys like us that want to do some surfing. I have also been thinking about getting a Jackson Hero, Have you used one and did you fit? the problem is that i am a skinny guy as well, I only weigh 170 so i dont want to get something like a super hero. i would love to find a nice creeker that is small but still fits the length of my legs.
Old 03-08-2011   #4
doesn't need a fake name
Fort Collins, Colorado
Yeah, that'll be tough to find a good boat if you're that light. Well, actually, a creekboat will be pretty easy. Like you said, you just need to be able to fit your legs into it and it will work. I paddled the super hero from a year or two ago, and it worked pretty well. I have not yet tried the new heros. If you're getting a creekboat in order to creekboat in it, don't worry about it being too large. An oversized creekboat will paddle really nicely.

Playboats will be really tough. Most boats large enough for your legs will be the generic "large" boat, so they will be trying to fit big heavy guys and big tall guys, meaning that there will be too much volume, usually. This is great for creeking, but it makes playboating pretty hard.

Also, I should admit that I am sponsored by Fluid kayaks, so of course I have to mention the Fluid Detox. It's the planing hull creekboat. It handled a little like the old heros, but it felt more like a creekboat - faster and longer. Of course if you're looking into used boats this won't even be on the radar since it's still pretty new.

Try out as many boats as you can before making any decision. Try out current boats even if you don't plan to buy them. It gives you a better basis for comparison.
leif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011   #5
Bozeman, Montana
I just read a review of a guy that is 6'8" and he said that he fits in the salto. so that is hopefully good news for me. the guy that owns the boat i am looking at is like 5'11" so i would probably have to tear out all his outfitting and redo it for me anyways.
Old 03-08-2011   #6
Steamboat Springs, Colorado
You may fit in the salto, but it is pretty low volume. You would be better off in the Fluid Solo or the Wavesport Habitat. My friends that love the Salto are much shorter and weigh much less than you do... good luck!
mhelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011   #7
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
What do you weigh? I felt I was too big for the Salto. I am 6'1". Might have been a little over 200lbs at the time.

(seven two 0)-298-2242
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011   #8
Seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 1999
Send a message via AIM to JCKeck1
I guarantee you'll fit in a large Villain comfortably. I'm 6'2" with size 11 feet and I still have the bulkhead pulled a few inches towards me with the 3" thick foam foot blocks. It's definitely the best tall guy boat on the market.
Team JK
JCKeck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011   #9

I'm 6'4 with stupid long legs and 195lbs. Had a hard time fitting in the Salto and was not comfortable. The LG "new" Burn will fit you easily. The Everest will give you room to spare. The Villain will fit and also the Mega Rocker. The Super Hero (last version) was not comfortable at all for me and the Fluid Solo LG was super cramped. I am waiting to see if the Fluid Big Bang will fit better.
I have yet to find a comfortable (as in not having to get out after 15 min) "true" playboat.
Like Lief said, try out tons of different boats, even if it means just sitting in them..Atom...
action is the enemy of thought
atom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011   #10
you will be too big for the salto. even if you can cram into it, it will be too small of a boat to perform well for you. Get a Liquid Logic REMIX 79. You will be comfy, and the boat will perform well for you in all types of water. Woody Calloway, of Liquid Logic is 6'5", and that is what he paddles for every type of river (except playboating). I have a 79 for demo in boulder if you want to try it out.

Nick Wigston
Whitewater Tube Co./CKS rental center

N. Wigston is offline   Reply With Quote