upper chattooga (may thru november)
niagara gorge

what else is off limits?

tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012   #2
Seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 1999
Send a message via AIM to JCKeck1
Cranberry creek in Texas. Interesting from a legal stand point because it is technically legal to run, but the Putin is guarded by an ahole with an ak-47. And he's backed by the hillbilly Sherriff. A few people have gotten tresspassing tickets from him and the DA just sits on them and leaves it in limbo. Ask Texas ken. He's got more info.

I'm working on the upper chatt for ya.

JCKeck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012   #3
Portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2005
In Oregon:

Bull Run
Little Sandy
Celestial Falls
Gnome79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012   #4
The Bitterroot, Montana
Grand Canyon Tuolumne, Upper Merced, Upper Falls River (Yellowstone NP).
montuckyhuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012   #5
Seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 1995
In Seattle Area

Puyallup Gorge

NF Tolt and SF Tolt River

These aren't illegal, but you can't access them without expensive permits from the logging companies that manage the properties. Some of us are considering dropping the cash for the Snoq Forest annual permit which will give us easy access to Ernie's Canyon and drive-in access to the Tolts.

Hawthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012   #6
Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
Lots of goods. Yellowstone specifically is awsome. Anything on the wind river indian reservation. Also really good. Pretty much majority of wyoming due to land ownership. If they own both sides they own the river bed so you can only be on the water and not touching.. So far nobody is pulling the Colorado land owner stuff. But we tend to keep each other in line. From the 5 person rule on nflw to being respectful. Even if it means coming across as an asshole to other kayakers. Many runs can be taken away super fast. we could be recieveing a trespassing ticket or bullet through our kayak... And no church.. No river in my eyes is illegal. I don't have the moral obligation to upstand boundaries I don't believe in.. It our river our land. I see no boundaries, as does Mother Earth.
caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012   #7
Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1989
Below Section IV of the Wolf in Wisconsin is on a Res and off limits to the general population. Section IV, also on the Res, is by permit only during sumer and off limits in winter (or there abouts).
On the river, I can abandon who I am and what I've done. However brief it lasts, while on the river I am nothing important and everything insignificant. I am flotsam, and happy to be so.
hojo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012   #8
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
North Fork of the Poudre.
The upper run has a land owner that you need to sneak past.
Phantom Canyon has a large dam that you need to portage to get into the private (Nature Conservancy) canyon.
The Little Thompson has a land owner association at the pot holes that is not kayak friendly.
kayapelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012   #9
Boise/Hokitika (New Zealand), Idaho
Paddling Since: 2006
Posts: 46 may remember us trying to get on the encampment river...add that to the list.
burnor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012   #10
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
i wasn't thinking so much about private property complications... those situations can be dealt with, or depending on one's willingness to test the law, ignored.

what rivers are forbidden? either institutionally like yellowstone, or because the river is sacred, in the same sense that mount kailash cannot be climbed.

tribal lands come to mind, for example, cibecue creek in AZ.

tango is offline   Reply With Quote