Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 01-27-2010   #1
Ideas for volunteer opportunities for water engineers?

I had a discussion last week with some folks i work with about how we could get involved in the water community this summer. Rather than wading the S. Platte picking up chairs and diapers by ourselves, i thought i'd see about existing opportunities that are out there.

We're a mid-sized water engineering firm (~45 people) in denver that focus on surface water resources planning, water rights transfers, groundwater supply planning, permitting, etc. and we thought we'd like to volunteer our time for a river cleanup, educational opportunities, water related awareness (drought or conversation), river restoration, something like that.

Thought this would be a good place to get some ideas about volunteering opportunities coming up this spring/summer. I know there's often posts about volunteering, but trying to get as much info about varying opportunities as i can, whether its about past programs (CO Foundation for Water Ed, CO Env. Coalition, AWRA, AW) or more grassroots possibilities.

We're in Denver near downtown, so something around there would be best to get most to show up.

Thanks for any info. darren

darren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010   #2
Fort Collins, Colorado
Check out savethepoudre.org

They have a link where you can volunteer and email them your situation. It is a little outside the Denver area but could be something to look at.

Great idea

There is always a reason not to...
teleboater5.13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010   #3
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1985
Contact Phil at Down River Equipment 303.467.9489. He set up the Platte River clean-up last year.
riojedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010   #4
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1988
South Platte Cleanup

We are in the planning stages for the 2010 4th annual South Platte cleanup.(april 18 or 25th, not sure yet) We would love your help. In addition to volunteering the day of the cleanup. We are looking for people to help with the steering/ planning committee. You can pm me for more info.

Phil is also involved again this year. Although he no longer works at DRE, I'm Sure DRE will participate again. ALL are welcome, individuals and businesses, boaters, bikes, hikers etc.

Juan De Confluence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010   #5
Something that uses your skills a little more appropriately would be the South Platte River compliance with their TMDL on E-Coli. The state is over the TMDL several days of the year and are actively looking for solutions. They have had input of extravegant ideas like pumping the water back up to aerate it, but I think there are out of the box solutions which can be much less energy intensive and effective. If they are able to come more into compliance on their TMDL additional features could be constructed at the Confluence Park location. Cleaning up trash is great but a water engineering firm willing to donate could maximize their skills much more. If you do want to do something about trash, John at Confluence is working on a TMDL designation for Trash on the S. Platte.

So I think working with the state to do something about water quality in the S. Platte is a great endeavor and benefits not only kayakers but the community at large, especially the lower income residents who swim the hell out of Confluence in the summer. The state is actively seeking solutions because they are out of compliance on their e-coli TMDL and can be sued by the federal government at any time.
craporadon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010   #6
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Originally Posted by teleboater5.13 View Post
Check out savethepoudre.org

They have a link where you can volunteer and email them your situation. It is a little outside the Denver area but could be something to look at.

Great idea
Save the poudre is a grass-roots facade set up to make sure Fort Collins steals all the water in the Poudre before Greely does.

angrylion is offline   Reply With Quote

clean, community, involve, volunteer