Old 08-20-2007   #31
Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2007
My apologies, because I never meant any disrespect. I know that a lof of you feel a great deal of love for him, and I simply responded to one thread that affected me and Noah's family. I didn't really expect a debate. I didn't really expect any responses at all. My whole intention was to point out that Conrad probably isn't "killin' it" right now and that to say so is insensitive to his son and the family. That is all.

Originally Posted by Smokey Carter View Post
To Conrad. To those of us with kids. You could have started a new thread if you wanted a debate. This was for him, a person a lot of us feel a great deal of love for. What are you even doing on this forum if you don't boat? It seems like you're trying to stir something up where it doesn't need to be stirred up. That's all.

kimmyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007   #32
Send a message via AIM to xkayaker13
my regards go to his family and the loss of a legend

xkayaker13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007   #33
Ravenswood, West Virginia
A friend from Ravenswood

My Name Is Jay Chambers,
I grew up with and went to school with Conrad, we were in the same grade.
When I was young I used to walk to his house about three miles away on Sundays and We would ride his horses and play in the barn.
His mother would always make us do chores before we could have any fun, but now we think it was funny.
After we graduated I did not see a lot of him, he had gotten in to rafting down on the New River and the Upper Gauley.
I was lucky enough to have been invited by todd his brother and conrad to come down and raft the rivers, I also took his mother with me. It was a blast and I can see why he choose that lifestyle.
I was at his funneral here in Ravenswood the other day and it still is hard to believe he is gone. I did meet Cinthia and only for a few moments here and there, I could see why Conrad had found the Love of his life.
I was told by others that they did everthing together, we who are able to find that are very lucky.
I got to stand up and talk about Conrad and it was the best thing I could have ever done. I told Cinthia I had a wife just like here and I will charrish her forever.
For you Cinthia, I hope you find peace in your life in the future some day, I am sure you will. Conrad would want that.
I was awakened the night of the funneral and all i could think of is Conrad and Cinthia and his family and I asked myself over and over if Conrad could come back would he do anything differant, still knowing that there are dangers in everything we do, I dont think he would have. To live the outdoor lifestyle is truley the best that life can bring.
No walls, beutiful sunsets,cool mountain air, wildlife, It truley does not get any better. That is why he took noah with him, to teach him this wonderful life. Yes there are dangers, but I believe when it is your time it does not matter what you are doing , its your time.
I ask you to take care of Cinthia and to give prayers to there family!!
We will miss you Conrad and Cinthia please come to Ravenswood some time and we can talk about Conrad and share some more memories.
If you read this I would like to have your E-mail to say Hi.
Your Friend Jay
The butcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007   #34
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1992
This always happens when someone dies in the small community of kayakers, especially someone of kayaking stature like Conrad. First, the condolences and shock, then the questions start, then the anger of "why", and it usually comes full circle at some point to just remember the person and provide support to those that need it. It is a cathartic process, natural.

My best wishes and prayers go to the family because they are the ones that will miss him every single day for the rest of their lives, the ones that counted on him, the ones whos hearts have a full-time void. I personally think that a child won't fully comprehend losing a parent until they've matured and possibly until they become a parent. Neither will someone that is not a parent fully understand the commitment and love it takes to raise a child. As a parent of two beautiful girls, this hits home for me. I have thoughts of not being there for them, not just because of kayaking but because of life's unknowns. I do manage my risk on the river differently now than when I was single because I think it is the right thing for me.

I don't know Conrad, I just know of him. So, I can't judge him nor would I want to. I believe we all make a series of choices that determines the outcome of our life and we all have free will and some of us will live to be old and die on a bed and some will die without any notice, not having the convenience to prepare for death. Something happened that took Conrad too early, in my opinion. But that is that. He made the choices he made, probably because they made him happy.

As for the risk we take...well, it is rewarding. As for my family life, it is rewarding. Personally, I want the best of both worlds and struggle for the balance. Peace.
TimWalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007   #35
Jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 94
Send a message via Yahoo to Gary E
Nicely put Tim.

RIP- My friend
Gary E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007   #36
What a loss. I went to the memorial on wednesday - a ton of people turned out and Derek (Damo's brother) came over from Jackson.

After trying to come to grips with Damon's death a year ago - this happens. I'm a bit shell-shocked to be honest.

Derek and I camped out wednesday night where Damon use to park his van. In the morning he and I went up on the North Fork to Nutcracker and set up a mini camp there. We put out two chairs, a sleeping bag, and a styrofoam cooler with beer in it. We stayed a little while, talked about Damon and Conrad - then we got up wrote each of their names on a chair, got in our car and drove away.

All I know is that if there is "another side" or if we actually do "cross over" - I know for sure that both Damon and Russell were there with tears in their eyes and their arms open when Conrad came through. I hope their all together again.

Pops Miller

buenodude is offline   Reply With Quote