Mountain Buzz banner

I'd like to run the Ark from the #'s down next spring

Tags
ark
3K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  Dustin Urban 
#1 ·
Probably early june, I know it's 90-100 miles but have never paddled it. Would we need raft support and can we pack lite, real lite and find places to eat nightly. Beer is also of paramont importance.
I'd be driving out from the east and don't know the area.
Suggestions?

Thanks,
Pat

#3 ·
Yep. It's all doable and you can car support the trip the whole way if you want. This makes good food and lots of beer really easy. I've always thought doing something like this would be cool. Someday I definately want to hop in at Leadville and paddle a few hundred miles down. Sounds like lots of fun.

#5 ·
The good thing is that there's a liquor store a stone's throw from the ramp in Salida. Below Brown's Canyon camping gets pretty limited and is either right next to the road or in plain view of the road. Call up the AHRA and ask about camping below Salida.

-Andy

#7 ·
Sounds sweet! I've always thought that would be fun. Raft support would make it luxury, but as someone said, car support would be easy. Or you could eat in BV night 1 and put in a big day to Salida the next day (25 mi?). Salida would be a party. then from there it sounds like there's plenty of stops. make sure to hit up the awesome mexican food in Canyon City. Can't remeber the name... anyone?

#8 ·
Thanks for the info, I will make sure I post up the dates next spring for anyone that wants to tag along. We are going to do it and it sounds like it should be a great time.

Good mexican food is always important, I'll need some names for sure.

Thanks for help.

See you in the spring!

#10 ·
Driving from Summit, we always stop at either the Grill in Leadville or La Cantina in Stringtown on the way back. These are two of the best Mexican restaurants I have ever been to. Definately worth stopping at if you're driving through that way. But I digress. Have fun; let me know when you come out and I'll paddle some of it with you.

COUNT

#12 ·
Dustin, just fyi, alfonso's moved to inside a gas station and lost some of its charm. Still the same food but cant sit out at the picnic tables.
Thanks again for supporting our club and teaching the clinic in Salida this summer.

greg

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.