Old 01-05-2009   #1
Rotorua, NZ
Iceland '09

I am headed off to Iceland here in a couple of weeks to study geothermal energy. Along with my studies I plan on doing a whole lot of boating while in the land of the midnight sun. Anyone out there been there to boat? Any advice? I will be in Akureyri in the north and plan on journeying around the island when I have the time. I wanted to extend the invitation to anyone who might be interested that I plan on having a vehicle and a place to stay if you want to come check it out. I have some beta from a couple of guys living there, but I also wanted to see if people who have been there to paddle or not have any advice on getting around, issues with locals, etc. This is gonna be a sick year up there, I am super fired up and I hope that some of you all can try to make it up there. I plan on posting lots of photos and stories from my travels so I will keep you all posted. I hope you all have a great winter and the run-off is extra sick for everyone. HAve fun and I will see y'all in 2010!

paulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009   #2
Basalt, Colorado
Boating is going to be cold... burrrrr ........the Icelanders are great-talk to the local boaters and ask for info... I doubt that there are any boaters in the winter... since it is terrible cold and windy... But if you do I would like to see the pix..

Akureyri is great - Egilsstadir is awesome and Reykjavik the best

Enjoy the Blue Lagoooooonnn - don't forget to use the conditioner

The Ice Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009   #3
Denver, Colorado
does anyone have any beta about this crazy island? most importantly, when is the prime paddling season? is april too early?
bwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009   #4
Boulder, Jackson Kayak, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Send a message via Skype™ to thecraw
BS you see me in 2010... You'll see me in 2009 biatch!

Paul, I am all about getting to visit you in iceland, and honestly can't wait. Keep me on the short list. I have no idea when the heat of the season is, but expect you will keep me in the know. It's gonna be such a great experience.
From what I just saw on some travel channel show, the chicks are hot, the party scene is off the hook, and the waterfalls are endless. Can't think of a better place to hang the hat for a year.

I ain't kidding, we'll see you this season!

Dominate bro.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather...To skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... WOW !!!! What a ride!!!!!!"
thecraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009   #5
April-May is the best season for smaller creeks, waterfalls on the big rivers are runnable much later. There is a book that you HAVE to buy called something like waterfalls of Iceland. It has 300 pages of waterfalls. There are a lot to be had just driving around. The best guy to contact is Jon Andresson. Last time I was there he was with or something like that. There is a small group of locals who call themselves KFC, Krazy Fucking Creekers, they would be stoked to have someone to paddle with. There's pretty much zero rapids and over 300 runnable waterfalls. Just drive that ring road as much as possible and you come by all kinds of quality drops.
craporadon is offline   Reply With Quote