Old 08-12-2007   #1
paulding county, Georgia
Paddling Since: 1995
i want to start kayaking

i really want to start kayaking(whitewater) but i have a lot of questions.

first a need a kayak, my price range is about 100-300 dollars, i can go as high as 500 if i need too. i need something for a beginner, easy to flip back over if i get knocked over, easy to turn, and i would like something that i can go on flat water with also. I'm really looking for plastic models, but can anyone give me the pros and cons of inflatables too. thank you

garrettwomack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007   #2
Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
I'd definitely go for plastic. If you're gonna be doin any sort of colorado kayaking, you need something that can take impact with rocks. I'd start by looking at river runner category of boats. This would include the dagger mamba, the wavesport diesel, and the liquid logic gus. This site is one of the best sources to look for some boats in that price range. You might also look at this link for CKS ( If ya still cant find anything, Confluence Kayak in denver is one of the greatest paddle shops around. They've got plenty of used boats and are totally willing to help you get in a boat that you like.

jballen1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007   #3
Avon, Colorado
beginner instruction

Check out my instructional video at It should provide you with all the information you need.
Edward-Oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007   #4
Golden, Colorado
That price range is a little low even for a used boat. Most used whitewater kayaks would be around $600-500.

As far as inflatables go, they are great for begginers but don't give you a lot of chance to get better in. If youare seriously looking at getting into the sport (particuarly if you want to be able to go on a lake too) a hard-shell would be better as it allows for far more skill growth. Since you want something for lake as well as river, I would recomend a long boat for you, more of a creeker. Dagger Mambas tend to be pretty good boats for begginers and could work on a lake too. Any whitewater boat is going to be a little tippier and harder to keep straight than a touring kayaking, but the longer boats less so. Others you could try (if you want the older boats) might be some of the older Prijons.

I would recommend some classes, too, if you are new to the sport - at least a basic flat water class and a intro river class, probably a roll class as well. Check out (phone number is 303-988-2943).

Hope that helps.
Oopps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007   #5
Self-Aggrandizing jackass
The Ranch, Colorado
Paddling Since: 04
When you think about what you can afford, don't forget the essential non-boat gear.

Dry-top (a good one new starts around $200)
Paddle (a good one new starts around $200)
Spray skirt (around $100)
Helmet ($50)
Life jacket - aka PFD ($75)

The thing about getting into kayaking is that it's all up-front cost, and once you're in, you don't need to spend much more, unless you're a gear whore like gh.

So after cost, then you need someone to teach you how to start - the roll. Lots of people and places can do that for cheap to nothing. But to get better at kayaking, you have to get acquainted with people who will help - you're already at The Buzz, so you're ahead in that category.
"self-aggrandizing jackass" - it says it right on the label
heliodorus04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007   #6
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Realisticly [sp ] your price range is a little too low.apx $600 + accessories.I don;t agree that inflatables can't take impact with rocks ,or that you can't advance.I run all kinds of bony front range class 4.and harderd runs require you to have skills specific to the boat,i know a duckier that runs Bailey,Gore,Clear Crk. of he Ark,Royal Gorge at 4000, Grand Canyon,etc., but there arn't too many of us around Colo., more on the coasts.The pros are; ease of storage and travel,beginner friendliness for when you're starting out and for friends later,lots of storage capacity for overnighters,comfortable and lots of fun.Cons not as playful,hassle to inflate all the time,kayakers think you're a dork,can't advance as far,you're more exposed to the watereg your legs are always wet and you will be in the water self-rescuing or swimming.I love duckies, but if I had to do it over again I would start out in a kayak and get professional instruction from day one,teaching yourself sucks,take it from a guy with the slowest learning curve in kayaking history.IMO ,an all purpose/river running playboat would be good for you; can creek a little can play a little,generally a little longer so better for ocean/lakes. Good Luck.
cayo 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007   #7
Summit County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
Your price range is good if you've got numerous second hand sports stores around. I picked up an older Necky Jive to learn with at the beggining of this summer for 175 bucks. Keep in mind I spent nearly 400 on accessories like paddle, skirt, helmet, etc.
P_McP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007   #8
DIllon, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Look at the buzz over the next few months and in to winter. You will find some good deals on gear. Try a used river runner or creek boat dont buy any thing to old either. Also rember if you buy used skirt top etc. You will get wet those items you might want new. P.S dont forget that throw bag!!!
shady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007   #9
pnw, Washington
gotta disagree with you there shady, i dont think beginners need or should carry a throw bag.
"Yesterday I was clever and tried to change the world. Today I am wise and try to change myself." -Rumi
gh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007   #10
Golden, Colorado
Taking a basic rescue class soon after you start boating, then getting a throw bag, is a great idea for beginners. Getting a throw bag and having someone show you how to use it works well too. Beginners getting a throw bag and not practicing with it, however, is how ropes end up being left in the river.

And for goodness sake, if you're going to carry a throw rope, or a rescue vest with tether, or anything else that could get tangled, get a knife as well.

Oopps is offline   Reply With Quote