Old 07-16-2013   #11
Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 2008
Sounds a lot like my 20's except I was obsessed with rock climbing. Keep the stoke, but make sure to have a backup plan. Have something to fall back on when you are ready to chill a bit.

tanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013   #12
Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
If you're not passionate now about what you're studying, how do you think you'll feel in a year? Are you sure grad school is the right place for you at this stage of your life?

Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013   #13
Nosebleed, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1977
Got the Ph.D.. Got a nice stipend. Skied Alta, biked the Wasatch, and did trips on the MF, Main, Salt, Green every year (5) while in the program at Utah. Now I work 30 weeks a year, get to be with students, pay checks are nice--pretty good payoff!
funrivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013   #14
Renaissance Redneck
Huson, Montana
Paddling Since: 1988
As long as your grades are where you want them you can tell those pencil neck nerds to fuck right off... unless theyre hot,,, if so turn them on to the good life.
"You're gonna be doin a lot of doobie rolling when youre LIVIN IN A VAN DOWN BY THE RIVER"
LSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013   #15
Preacher of the Profit Paddling Since: 1990

Get a really rich girlfriend,or suck it up and take one for the kayak team. Shoot past cougar Son and move right into dragon slayer mode. Find one way past her prime and one that likes to travel with her girl pals. Every trips she takes with them is one that you'll be free to kayak. Sure you might have to lotion some scale dogs, but hey you got a roof. Live the dream.
I love to dance, but who needs the music- It throws me off.
Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013   #16
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1975
Originally Posted by Jmannhei View Post
......and not a career is foolish and a waste of time, money, and effort.
i remember being young and stupid like that. now i'm only type a about being type b. or at least, a careful real world, no-sugar-mama-havin' balance of the two anyway.

life's too short to just work.
upshitscreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013   #17
Unincorporated Douglas County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1896
I'm not sure anyone ever totally solves that problem, just the character of work and the world, plus there are many, many people in the world with a need to make themselves feel good by making others feel bad. Also, a defined benefit pension beats hell out of a rich girl friend, but it takes longer to get one.
JohnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013   #18
Dipshit with the most.
Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
Your description of the school sounds like a special kind of Hell. Don't drink the koolaid.
carvedog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013   #19
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
Paddling Since: 2010
I live in Chapel Hill and really like it here, outside of the fact that the mountains are too far away (but manageable for day trips). I prefer to hang out in Carrboro rather than the Chapel Hill end of Franklin St. If it rains, there is some decent class III water locally, the Haw, Little, Flat and Eno. Also, Falls Dam on the Neuse if it releases over 1500 is good for park and play. Hit me up if you see any of those running and want to boat.

If you want to travel a bit further, Wilson and Watauga are both about 3 hours away. I'm planning on Wilson on Saturday if you can get out there (I'd offer a ride but I'm heading to Charlotte on Sunday and not back to Chapel Hill until Sunday night).
mdignan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013   #20
Eagle`, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
Nothing is wrong with you. I had some similar feelings getting my MFA, although I was going part time, which made things a very different experience than the full time students. They'd talk about how I couldn't understand what it's like to have such pressure to produce. Then I'd show up at crit with as much or more work as them... and I had a full time job.

The key for me was aligning my research with my other passions. I would say that I put as much time into caving, climbing and boating during that time as I did any other time in my life.... just made it applicable to my work. OR.. I'd bust hump for 4 days and then take 3 to go to the river. (Or vice versa... )

My wife was getting her PhD in Astrophysics at the same time, and she'd carve out time for play too. A lot of science research is based on coding now... so if you can set up 12 processors on 12 algorithms that are gonna take 4 days to run... what are ya gonna do? Set the machine up to text you if it errors and head out to paddle!

iceclimb is offline   Reply With Quote