Old 05-14-2007   #1
I ran the S. Platte through Denver

I did a quick run on the S. Platte through Denver last Sunday with my son. The river was at 2000+ cfs and it was quite a ride in stretches. It was a good ducky/raft run.

The big 10' drop just north of Alameda was hairy with a 4 ft pour over wave.

The pour-over dam at the power plant was really dangerous. The backwash was 10' behind the dam. A real killer. I didn't see it marked--seems dangerous. Aren't they replacing the dam? How soon? Too bad the portage is so long on the bike trail.

Confluence was kind of neat with all the sidewalks submerged.

The drops below Confluence were good. Some good big waves and necessary manueavering. Tressle was mostly washed out.

Overall, it is a good run--I'd call it a class III+ raft run. 2 hours from Alameda to the Tressle wave. I think Union Ave Chutes at 1600 are harder for a raft.
cstork is offline   Reply With Quote

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Topic Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pinned Boat On South Platte - Denver mvhyde Whitewater Kayaking 1 05-06-2007 02:41 PM
Denver Platte River Freestyle and Slalom Challenge FRPA1 Whitewater Kayaking 0 04-04-2007 09:07 AM
Denver Flat Water Challenge.... Come Join US FRPA1 Whitewater Kayaking 0 03-23-2007 10:31 PM
On The Subject of the South Platte chadmckenzie26 Whitewater Kayaking 0 07-15-2005 12:43 PM
New to Denver LizaS Whitewater Kayaking 9 04-21-2005 03:06 PM

» Classified Ads
Jackson Rock Star(Medium)

posted by Paddling Life

Brand new 2016 Jackson Kayak Rock Star

ShredReady full face...

posted by go-with-the-Flo

Size large/XL. White. Light use, no big hits or scratches....

Jackson 2014 Rockstar...

posted by Scardenas95