Old 02-11-2007   #11
pnw, Washington
Busted Johns. thats funny. I believe that chasing hookers is a much more respectable pastime then what these guys were doing. Not speaking from experience.....seriously. I promise.

"Yesterday I was clever and tried to change the world. Today I am wise and try to change myself." -Rumi
gh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007   #12
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
perspective distorted

I was one of the boaters you mentioned , I would say you must not have heard everything, aptly so we most certainly did remove the pvc tubing that was obstructing the waterway, the poles on the upper half were absolutely interfereing with us trying to cartwheel and loop on the eddy lines. from my perspective, I heard a angry cyclist, yell to my buddy hey stop that, and when you or anyone else comes off with a directive that is rude, you most certainly will get a negative response just as he did. Now I would add that we boat there all year and have no problem with slolam boaters as we both have slolam boated ourselves. Our problem was the negative comments(you mess with the bull , you get the horns) all we have asked is that you attach a lanyard or some other method to pull the gates out of the way so we can squirt, stahl, and loop in the eddy lines. A tip for the future is not to yell at us from the overhead cross path but to come down and talk about it. I have been going there since 95 and he has aswell, I have never seen you there so your input yelling to us was taken the wrong way. by the way I didnt recall seeing you there when we were cleaning up the s.platte and filling sand bags to correct the flow....

Kendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007   #13

You are a hose head. Knowing how bad ass the Denver boaters are I would keep my head on a swivel, you never know when they are going to take revenge on your punk ass.

Your excuse was lame and I picture you with an aggresive
go-tee, and maybe an awkward piercing.

Loop the eddy line on the south platte in the shit water. If that's all you need is an eddy line then why didn't you find one that didn't intail vandalism of the gates.

Lame Lame Lame
hey diddle diddle...
lotsawater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007   #14
Denver, Colorado
Utmost amount of respect for all kayakers and the river

I wanted to add as I may have missed info in my previous blog, I have been kayaking for 14 years and initially started as a slolam boater, In my trips to the south platte where we all share the river I have on countless occassions over the years have had to pull the remnants of slolam wires that have fallen in the river path, this was due to poor upkeep of the gates or poor construction. I definetly respect the work someone had to do to enjoy the gates, but it has to be a two way street. I would add there are swimmers who enjoy going there too , although it can be hectic, we get along and share. You seemed to jump into it ( the conflict at an inopportune time) If you see me down there again, I invite you to share your opinion, not to yell from afar. I can see by your innaccurate desription of events that you simply were uniformed. (other dont be fooled !!!)
Old 02-12-2007   #15
Eagle, Idaho
Paddling Since: '78
"I heard a angry cyclist, yell to my buddy hey stop that, and when you or anyone else comes off with a directive that is rude, you most certainly will get a negative response just as he did."

Hmmm.....and why do you think he was angry? Boaters disrespecting boaters, and you think HIS actions were rude by speaking up?? Sounds like you were called out and didn't like it. I find it hard to believe that every gate on the river was "obstructing the waterway".

Somebody yelled at us and we don't likey.....

Lame dude.
GoodTimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007   #16
Denver, Colorado

GoodTimes ,
your point was well taken, I cant say that was the case as I reflect, but I agree with you. and we removed a couple not every one. I didn't reply to this original because I felt that I had to give anyone an excuse, but to show there are two sides to a pancake! I wont dignify myself by sending a crappy response , everyone is entitled to their opinion. I can appreciate a difference of opinion, without casting a stone.
Old 02-12-2007   #17
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Seems like we still have the issue of how to handle multiple use on the confluence play park. One group putting up gear and another taking it down doesn't work and will only lead to people getting pissed off. It doesn't seem like it would be that hard to get gates up to satisfy the slalom crowd, but to do it in such a way that other users could still use the park. How about figuring out a way to work together? Is there a person, group, or entity that is in charge of the playpark that can address and resolve this issue?
deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007   #18
Preacher of the Profit Paddling Since: 1990
It goes both ways

It goes both ways. And, It’s good to know what you’re talking about before blasting folks on the Buzz. Again, someone typed before they knew all the facts.

Well before everyone gets their neo-skirts in a bind. Here you go. A representative of the local front-range Slalom team contacted me last week, as to if I knew who had placed gates at Confluence Park. He was very agitated that someone had put up the gates, because he has been in discussions with the city to gain approval for the gates. He’s upset because it puts his group at risk.

Jump forward one weekend, and two play boaters at the Confluence Park are upset at the way the gates where put-up and tear down a couple of them. Now granted when the real gates are hung up: they will be easy to move, will be hung properly, and will be up kept by the Front Range Slalom Team. Now the only thing people will have to worry about is spray painters and meth-heads trying collect the cable for recycling deposits.

City Parks and Rec. is in charge of the course. You don't want them to get involved. If it comes down to having to manage it, they would rather close it down. We should just self police it and keep big brother out of it.
I love to dance, but who needs the music- It throws me off.
Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007   #19
Well, this is sad! If it isn't playboaters vs others, it's 970 vs 303. Get over it!

We sure don't need this image on OUR (all boaters) scene considering the 07 Junior Olympics are being held here in Golden and Confluence. Yes, freestyle rodeo is included!

Do check out the link, thanks
Old 02-12-2007   #20
Lakewood, Colorasta
Paddling Since: 1997
Thanks for giving us perspective Don. Kendo, even though you might be in the wrong (whose to say what I would have done in the same situation), you've handled yourself very well. Its rare.

Phillips is offline   Reply With Quote