Old 04-08-2008   #21
Boulder, Colorado
I have the kokatat GMER and I love it, but here are two things to consider, are you planning on doing lots of ealry/late season paddling in cold weather and are you planning on doing overnighters. If you are planning to then I would recomend the drysuit but if not then you really don't need it.

tj@cu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008   #22
Thought-criminal, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
I can't speak to the other brands of drysuit and eVent is supposed to be the cat's pjs but I was able to pick up a GMER for 7 hundo from NRS during a sale and I am sooooo glad I did.

The Rocker fullface is bomber. Spendy, yes, but it's your domepiece, bro!

Astral stuff is shweet, too. I have my eye on that green vest that somebody just said isn't coming out . Oh well, just saved $200.

I have the Xtract and it's a good vest, just doesn't have very great coverage on the back and no it doesn't have a plastic spine piece. That was the "Hairfish" that Stohlquist used to sell designed by Ed Lucero. They don't sell it anymore.

I hope in the future Americans are thought of as a warlike, vicious people, because I bet a lot of high schools would pick "Americans" as their mascot. -Jack Handy
BastrdSonOfElvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008   #23
pnw, Washington
Kokatat goretex is just the best. Many seasons and my Rogue is dry as a bone with just a touch up of DWR. I agree with the IR service comments but Kokatat in my experience is the same. They back their products and both companies are models for customer service.
"Yesterday I was clever and tried to change the world. Today I am wise and try to change myself." -Rumi
gh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008   #24
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Drysuit- obviously the GMER is awesome. As for going cheaper, there are a few issues. Built-in booties- it defeats the point of having a drysuit if your feet are going to be in 35 degree water all day. Feet in warm, dry fleece= sweet. Also, if you are going to go cheaper you may have to get a less reputable brand. Judging by the quality of the NRS and Stolquist drytops I have had, you will probably be really disapointed with their drysuits. Seriously, they sucked. I would never pay $500 for something with an NRS label on it. I have heard good things about Palm though. Also, the GMER is breathable, like really breathable. Your capilene literally drys while you paddle.

PFD- you should buy doublet's Extrasport. I have one and its good.

Helment- I have a Lektor Protector- its hard to talk out of but chicks dig it.
jmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008   #25
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Send a message via AIM to craven_morhead
PFD- I'm buying the extrasport from doublet
Helmet- leaning toward the WRSI, since I could really use a new helmet that could serve both for playboating and creeking

As for the drysuit, I'm still torn about whether the GMER is worth the cash.

craven_morhead is online now   Reply With Quote