Old 09-24-2013   #1
Everywhere, Montana
I miss my old life

Iím sitting in a hotel room outside NYC thinking about my life, and the choices Iíve made that have landed me where I am now. I am not camping, living out of my car and kayaking every day. I am not surrounded by the people who make me the happiest and who I trust my life with. I am not tending bar or waiting tables, nor am I participating in the occasional safety meeting here and there. I am not living in the moment and I am not carefree. I have entered the corporate white colored world of business meetings, conference calls, and expense reports.

Like a movie real playing in my mind, over and over, sitting in my kayak in an eddy, facing up stream. Eyes closed, Iíve memorized the rapid, each move, each hazard, what line I need to have. My heart beats fast. I breathe in through my nose, out through my mouth. My prayers consist not of safe passage, but of gratitude for the experiences Iíve been fortunate to have on planet earth; the good, the bad, even the ugly. What seems like four or five lifetimes of adventure, I appreciate every last one and the incredible people Iíve met along the way. Kayaking is not a hobby for me but a way I choose to live my life. She is not conniving or scandalous and she commands respect. She is always there when you need her. She is challenging, loyal, sexy, charismatic and electric. She is encompasses everything that is genuine, sincere, and real. I respect her more than I respect myself. She is the doorway to an incredible life and I love her for that.

I miss my old life.

aaronraines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013   #2
Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
Aaron broseph we need to boat again at least you do, its on me man lets fin go...

caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013   #3
no tengo
Baytopia, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1876
That was well said Aaron. I miss my old raft guiding life but not my old income. Weekend warrioring has its merits. Make the best of the situation you are in.
mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013   #4
Plunk your magic twanger!
New Castle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Life evolves and revolves. Don't give up hope. You can change direction at any time. I knew I was on a path that would not allow me to enjoy life and work to make a living so I gave up the career, the comfortable home, the nearby family, and moved with less than $1000 to my name. This was one month after getting married (my wife was on board and the $1000 was mostly "wedding gifts" mailed to us when our families learned we eloped). I had a short list of things I felt I would really need in a new place. The biggest was a feeling of belonging to a community. After living my entire life in the Chicago area, I never felt like I had "neighbors". When I moved to New Castle, Colorado, I didn't know anything about rafting, mountain biking, skiing, or windsurfing. I'd never camped in wilderness. I remember the guy next door introducing me to a guy a few blocks away who could rebuild the starter for my Gremlin and sharing a beer.

Seventeen years later and I don't regret my 401k shortcomings. In fact, it has worked out better than I could have imagined. And I've floated over 500 miles in the last year

Keep working hard and when the time is right you will know you need to make a big change. It might be closer than you realize!
Gremlin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013   #5
Red Lodge, Montana
Paddling Since: 2010
I agree with mike. Anytime anywhere lets go!!! My favorite trip was this year when we hit prospect and the yaak. Freezing ass cold. Heater in the car broke. But the water and the good times are enough to make me wanna go back.
catfishbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013   #6
billings, Montana
Paddling Since: Tues
Send a message via Yahoo to mttodd
Hang in there, or don't. Do what you think will lead to your greater well being. If toughing out some crappy white collar shite will allow you some better equipped river time in the near future, so be it. Do what feels right.
mttodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013   #7
Pleasant Valley, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Well said, but you aint that far from the Gauley, Go get some!
Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013   #8
Keystone, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2009
The top 5 regrets people have on their death beds:
Inspiration and Chai
didee99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013   #9
Bozeman, Montana
Six years ago, my first summer as a mountain guide, one of my clients told me that he wished he could live like me. (I was 21, living in my 4-runner on less than 10k/year, and climbing more than 6 months a year. I had never been happier) He was not the first person to tell me that, and certainly not the last, but when I told him: "you can", he took my advice, moved is family from the east coast to Aspen, CO, and when I ran into him last summer in the mountains, this 45+ yr old guy with a wife and two kids reminded me of my giddy 21 year old self.

That said, I am ready to plan my own exit strategy from being a total dirtbag... thinking about going back to school. So far just thinking (for a few years!). There is a happy medium somewhere. Just remember... you can do anything you want. Maybe think about where your own happy medium would be.
Cookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013   #10
Staghorn Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2011
Some great rivers in the Empire State as well as New England. Some fine coastal surfing, too plus tidal waves. Places are closer than out West. If ur close to Manhattan, gotta check out New York Kayak Co. Hardest core paddlers there and prolly super info source. Hop in one of their sea boats and take a paddle around NYC. That'll blow u away and is anything but easy. Think they do it all year long, but u have to pass their qual test first. Perk up... theres great paddling near you. Also try the Black R. in NY.Look up kayak/canoe/raft gear territory reps for leads. Maybe REI, too. Certainly paddle and ski shops and Boater Talk online.

BCxp is offline   Reply With Quote