Old 09-25-2013   #11
Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
What the hell are you doing in NYC attending meetings and completing reports? That doesn't sound like you at all....

Stick it out and make some money, or say fuck it and come back west.... I would vote for the later.

Good luck with the upcoming shoulder surgery Aaron, get yourself healed up, then get back after it.

Remember this? I believe it was your first time down Browns:

good stuff.

GARNA’s mission is to foster stewardship of the resources of the greater Arkansas River region through education, volunteerism and experiences.
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013   #12
FoCo,NoCo, Colorado
Well written lament.
Try to enjoy where you at the moment. There will be some good things to take with you wherever you go.

sarahkonamojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013   #13
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Going from the great outdoors into corporate bullshit is one of the most depressing transitions one can make. Its a rude awakening.

Missing your old life is normal, but you will get where you need to by focusing on the future, which will always be different.

I've known a lot of folks who lived "the life" when they were young... only to get burned out by being a broke dirtbag living in a van down by the river. Many eventually turn to school, or some career change, as its very tough to live for a long time on next to nothing.

I also know a lot of folks who have a really good life despite holding down a corporate job (myself included). Corporate can pay well, and if you are in a good location, it can enable adventures. You gotta pay for creekboats, plane tickets and all the gear you yardsaled on bear creek.

In my mid 20's I went through an existential crisis... fed up with the bullshit of corporate america, wanting to connect with nature, wanting to find something more fulfilling. Now, older, wiser, perhaps less idealistic I have found that a good job keeps me financially secure and enables my adventures. Joy is found with family, friends, kayaking, camping, and adventures, and corpoarate pays the bills. Works for me.

Everyone has their own preferred path, and to each his own. One old school quote I really like... "there are many paths to the top of the mountain, but they all see the same moon on top".

Good luck on your journey, but by all means, get the fuck out of dodge if its not good.
deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013   #14
crested butte, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
Send a message via Yahoo to milo
...schfinny, remember you guys taking me down obj my first run? I was headed to bv, you guys (John dimbright, corby, maybe deano) were headed over from bv to the butte... That day changed me as a person... For better or worse it changed me..... I'm hitting 50 this winter with the throttle pegged!!! ... At least you have memories that will get you through the boredom... nailing a million dollar deal can't get you through all the hair you've run.... Your office is the EDDY now... You've got new plans , skills and a mindset to navigate that world... WHEN IN DOUBT BOOF THAT SHIT!!.... Besides you know where to find water... When you need it most.... I've got plenty of rooms for you and the family if you find yourself in cb ever.... You were a super hero in my eyes those early years.... Once a super hero, always a super hero!!!..... One thing I'll never forget was when you said to me.."I like it when it stinks" I sit here and contemplate next weekends most dreaded and dangerous race in the valley (DIG YOUR OWN GRAVE)... I ALMOST wish I had a desk job to keep me from doing it again.... . Milozadik 420 CB
milo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013   #15
Durango, CO
Paddling Since: 1990
I still remember running Vallecito the first time with you and the boys like it was yesterday and it was 17-18 years ago. I can remember every detail of that run. Thats how vivid and awesome that experience was for me. Me and kayaking have had an interesting relationship over the years but that one day stands out as mystical for me. Thanks for sharing it with me.

d.e. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013   #16
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
Why Generation Y Yuppies Are Unhappy | Wait But Why
Chris Morrison
CGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013   #17
Denver,, exhaustion
Seriously, very well written.

You should be a writer.
"We should restore the practice of dueling. It might improve manners around here" -Edward Abbey
adgeiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013   #18
Jenks, Oklahoma
What BCxp said times 2.

Moved around a bunch while making a living for me and family. Never got in a place where I could not find some boating. Might have to drive to get there, but the river time is worth it.
okieboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013   #19
Red Lodge, Montana
Paddling Since: 2010
Originally Posted by CGM View Post
Not a bad article. Definatly kicked some mental stones over in my life. Damn those unicorns!
catfishbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013   #20
Lakewood, Colorasta
Paddling Since: 1997
I here ya brotha! After twenty years in Colorado riding, biking and boating I made the move to texas for Nurse anesthetist school. Great career choice and super lucky to be getting my school paid for, but I feel your pain at times. On the other hand, I'm meeting some awesome people down here in San Antonio. I'm enjoying the culture and absolutely enjoying learning anesthesia. When I get back to Denver in 2016 I will cherish every minute of it!!

Phillips is offline   Reply With Quote