Old 09-04-2008   #11
Let's look at this from the other side.
A commemorative plaque is torn from a rock with disregard for it's meaning/placement/effort. Let's say this is a plaque remembering your lost father on the gorge (I have no clue what this plaque was for and that high water didn't take). I dam well would wish the people that tore it off full blown AIDS, or maybe atleast the HIV.

Let's say some people trashed Adam's memorial on SSV. Those people would be wishing they had Aids over the beating they would receive from the boating community.

Worthless disgusting destruction of property is just as bad as theft, and we know how boaters treat thieves.

sbratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008   #12
Grand Junction, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
I believe a more appropriate comment would have been the following:
I hope your kids are afflicted with periodic episodes of horrible bloody diarrhea whenever you appear in public at the same time, or are even in the same room together, ever, in a manner such that there is a clear correlation between their affliction and your ill considered, insensitive, moronic, and most probably alcohol-and-Uncle-Jem-fueled behavior at the river, and that you are wracked with such feelings of remorse that you return said plaque, along with a generous donation to the whitewater charity of your choice.

bluesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008   #13
Self-Aggrandizing jackass
The Ranch, Colorado
Paddling Since: 04
Originally Posted by gh View Post
Where was this plaque? I have never seen it.
That surprises me because I've heard you've covered every inch of wallslammer, above and below the belt line, as it were.

Seriously, this is the first I've ever heard of it. A memorial to whom?
"self-aggrandizing jackass" - it says it right on the label
heliodorus04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008   #14
pnw, Washington
I thought you would have gone with, "you havent seen it cause your head is never above water in that area"
"Yesterday I was clever and tried to change the world. Today I am wise and try to change myself." -Rumi
gh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008   #15
Denver, Colorado
Check with local recycling centers if you feel so strongly. That is where I'd think it would turn up.
"I think I handled my alcohol pretty well considering how drunk I was." -Cousin Dan
Livingston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008   #16
Overseas, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997
It was a typo, it should have been "your". Charly's (a rafter) stone memorial was about 3 ft tall by 1 1/2 wide (much like a headstone), in the first big eddy river right after Wallslammer. I look at it everyday, high water did not take it. I'm also sticking with the flow blown AIDS. Thanks for all the help.
eljim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008   #17
Thought-criminal, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Everybody has

I hope in the future Americans are thought of as a warlike, vicious people, because I bet a lot of high schools would pick "Americans" as their mascot. -Jack Handy
BastrdSonOfElvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008   #18
Local, Colorado
Send a message via AIM to paddlebizzle
Originally Posted by BastrdSonOfElvis View Post
Everybody has

Spottswoode: Remember, there is no "I" in "Team America".
paddlebizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008   #19
Littleton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 06
Send a message via Yahoo to DenverDave
Sorry about what happened to the memorial statue. The 12-year-old vandals who more-than-likely destroyed it should replace it and be appropriately punished. It was an uncool thing to do.

But, GEEZ...AIDS?!? You didn't have anything to do with it either, so does that mean that you want YOURSELF to get AIDS, as well? ...and your children? haha

Many local junior colleges offer "Anger Management 101" as an online course. Maybe you could audit a class. There are a plethora of options...

What you conceivable could have learned at class is that lashing out your anger in all directions not only robs YOU of possible sympathies, but also robs sypathies to the memory of your friend.

You can say what you want in my direction. I'm cool with it and see it for what it is - you're angry. But some are actually bothered.

Have you considered collecting funds from other boaters to help replace it? (...collecting funds in a NON-HIV-CONTRACTIVE setting.) It might be kind of tough now.

Again, sorry about what happened to the memorial statue of your friend.

Dave, HIV negative
"I'm putting a personal bounty on the head of Tim McCrackin. He's the coach, and chief punk on that Syracuse team. A hundred bucks of my own money to the first of my boys who really nails that creep!" --Coach Reg Dunlop, Charlestown Chiefs
DenverDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008   #20
Frisco, Colorado
definitely Aides

Originally Posted by DanOrion View Post
I think El Jim just typo'd aides just like he typo'd his username. It should read "I hope your kids are born with aides".. to assist with toilet training, homework and, of course, just like Jared, weight loss. We can only offer the benefit of the doubt, you know?
definitely a typo... I think really it was for moral ethics... you know aides to help them realize how dumb their parents were. Just remember that the Karmatic wheel of justice will come back to haunt them. On another note, I just moved out to the Eastern portion of Seattle about a month ago, and the streams are just starting to warm up (as in flowing more and more). Couple recent dam releases etc. I sure as hell miss park and play features though

14kayaking2 is offline   Reply With Quote