Old 07-18-2007   #41
SE, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1986
The part that strikes me is that when your dog swims up to the boat, obviously wanting to get in, to shove it off with a paddle is shitheartedly cruel.

Okay-so maybe a dog can swim the whole distance. Maybe your kids could do the same, in PFDs. But if they swam up to the boat, and asked to ride, would you poke 'em in the face with a paddle and tell 'em to keep swimming?

If you take your dog on a river trip, you ought to have some way to accomodate it in comfort and safety, on your boat.

Here's a happy river dog, with her own D-deck on a Pack Cat. She's got a PFD, but it was a flatwater trip at low flow– I wasn't wearing one either.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Ruby NPlatte.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	774.1 KB
ID:	158

I think if you re-read the original message, the issue is pretty clear.

yrs, Chip

Chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007   #42
Buena Vista, Colorado
Distressed Dog on the Ark

We had a similar experience this weekend.

Late Saturday as we were approaching a private put-in above Fish Bridge, we saw something bright orange in the river. When we arrived at the ramp, about 1/4 mile upstream from what we had seen from the highway, we found a very distressed, whimpering but friendly black lab with a neon orange pfd. It had a tag with a phone number and the name, Charlie.

As we were trying to comfort Charlie, a puma with a couple and a dog floated by. We asked if they knew the dog and the guy replied that he had hitchhiked the shuttle with its owners who were tubing to Ruby to camp for the night. They were able to coax Charlie into their raft and I left a message on the dog's phone number that he would be dropped off at Ruby.

When we floated by Ruby, the nice rescuers were standing around with Charlie as if still looking for his owner.

I hope this story ended well!

Thanks to everyone who posted. IMO, this is a worthwhile topic and I hope all the river dogs benefit from our increased awareness because of these posts.

bluelion is offline   Reply With Quote