Old 04-12-2012   #1
Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
How's the Pagosa Whitewater Park?

Anyone been yet this season? Gauge is showing 940 cfs right now:

USGS Current Conditions for USGS 09342500 SAN JUAN RIVER AT PAGOSA SPRINGS, CO

I heard there's a new feature or two and there have been modifications? Considering heading there this weekend for some play if it's any good.

Dustin Urban

dustin.heron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012   #2
I was there on Easter Sunday and took a few rides. There are basically 4 features. All of them suffer from being too shallow (at 650cfs). The top wave was a nice surf and spin spot, but I was flushing too easily. The 2nd feature was kind of washed, but I could front surf. The 3rd feature is the best, a nice hole with good eddy access. A little sticky, and good for hole moves. I had some nice rides throwing cartwheels in a wide pocket, but I had to throw them a little shallow to keep from hitting bottom. I hit bottom on all of my loops, but they are easy to throw and would be prime with just a bit more depth. The 4th feature was a flush.

The water was unbelievably cold. Bring a skull cap, and hit the hot springs afterwards.

Not to sound to negative... the 3rd feature has sweet potential, and looks like it would be a lot better than anything at Golden with the right flow. Combined with the Piedra it might be an alright weekend trip.

Kyle McCutchen
Cutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012   #3
albuquerque, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 2
The feature above the foot bride gets huge at 3k. Saw it last season at peak. Did not boat it though.
eurotrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012   #4
Buena Vista, Colorado
Cool, thanks for the beta! I think bailey might be calling my name with current flows. Cheers
Old 04-14-2012   #5
pagosa wwp

dustin, chamber hole (hole next to chamber of commerce building) gets good and deep at 800 and up, new feature needs work (yamaguchi park 1/2 mile downstream of chamber hole) the 2 upstream from chamber flush at we have one hole 800 and above...yep its sad 4 features in the last yr and half and only one works.....
And yeah its cold....
kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012   #6
Buena Vista, Colorado
Thanks, Kelly. So it goes with whitewater parks sometimes... I do hope to get there this spring though, and i will let you know what I think. The main wave just downstream of the bridge was great 2 years ago!

Pagosa Springs Wave - YouTube

How much has that feature been changed since 2010?
Old 04-15-2012   #7
Changes to chamber wave

The structure itself remains unchanged, the wing structre above (surfers right) was re-paired as it failed last year, the feature defn. "feels" deeper at these lower flows, i remember comin off the bottom (looping) at flows up to 800 last year, in the right spot we've be loopin at 650 and 850 can plug deep...its defn stickier in the 500-700 range than before..
I'm hoping for a similar feature at higher flows (nice vid), i doubt well see 1800 this year though, but it starts showing wave characteristics at around 1000..

Big shout out to Davey Pitcher (wolf creek ski owner) who has been on board this cont. project for the last 8 years....He has provided most if not all the construction equip. trackhoes,pumps, operators etc at HIS cost, if not for him this project would never have happened, there are 2 more features slated for the fall, below well as fixing the existing 3

If you get down shoot me an e-mail, i'd love a lesson
kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013   #8
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 2011
Pagosa springs water level

I will be going to pagosa in late July and was wondering if there will be enough water to go to the play park and practice surfing??
Milobeeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013   #9
Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Maybe. Maybe not. Depends on July rain. Snow will be long gone by then.... so I wouldn't count on it.

GARNA’s mission is to foster stewardship of the resources of the greater Arkansas River region through education, volunteerism and experiences.
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote