Old 05-23-2006   #1
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
How's shoshone at current levels?

Heading out to Aspen with the wife for memorial day weekend. Bringing the boats and looking for fun. Probably do some runs on the roaring fork. Looks like eveything is running big now. Always wanted to catch shoshone big. Huge waves and holes? All washed out?

deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006   #2
Knife Fork of the Spoon Paddling Since: 1984
one BIG hole in the middle about half way down real easy to miss and the rest is big waves its worth the 2 minutes it will take you to run. Walk up and look at barrel if you've been having a hard time going to the bathroom that will clean you out.

Fuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006   #3
gunnison, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998

Its a five minute ride, only the old splat rocks are big enough to create eddies ;) .. actually I don't know, I wonder what its like when the water is up on the bike path.
&d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006   #4
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
sounds like fun. Sounds like shuttle might take longer than running the river. I went to look at barrel last year at 7000 cfs and it did get the bowels rumbling. Thanks.
deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006   #5
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Send a message via AIM to david23
I personally dont find it any fun. It's definitely not worth the trip up from aspen, but it might be fun to hit it on your way up. It's really fast, but mostly washed out. I got stuck in the said hole around the middle and got thrashed for a good minute and a half before swimming and losing my paddle (which ended up being found three weeks later, but never returned ) Slaughterhouse is cranking big time right now though, so definitely do that. It's pretty solid 4+ right now. If that's too much, try toothache or cemetary.
david23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006   #6
At some flow around this, 9000 there is a wave that appears in the last drop in Barrel. It is a 100 yards upstream. It requires taking a beating but has potential to be riteous. Also Said holes, know as the Olson twins are fun waves at that level as well. You have to hike back up for them but very fun. Other wise a big flush. Lots of other fun stuff to do. Including the Upper pan which when over 500 is fun stuff.

friend of the fork, knife, and spoon
peterB is offline   Reply With Quote