Old 07-16-2009   #61
Longmont, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Originally Posted by Toni View Post

Proper clothes, gear, food, sunscreen, your attention, and teaching them lessons are most important. If the intended trip isn't flat water, and we haven't done it pre-child, Dave will kayak it first to evaluate the whitewater. Also, surrounding yourself with friends who enjoy your kids and have an unspoken "eye out" for them is great. I'm thankful for the amazing friends we have.

Well put...

My kids have been on the water with us for 20+ days so far this summer. If it is not something that I have run recently, we found people to go with who new the river like the back of their hand. Not only is it safer. but you get to meet new people develop new friends. Last weekend my daughter ( swam her first "rapid" (it was only 1+, but it seemed huge to her as she went through it.) They both had a great time, and learned a lot. After that to let my wife dry off, we spent some time on the shore throwing the rescue rope. It was good practice for both my wife (thrower and my kids (rescuees). Everyone had a great time.

We are planning a few weekends up in Glenwood before school starts to get in a few more days on the river.

There is nothing like experiencing nature at its best with your kids. We have seen families of otters each time we have been on the Green, more bighorn sheep than you can count on the San Juan, and everything in between. The highlite of my daughters summer was when we saw 2 wild stallions fighting behind one of our camps on the San Juan. The only word that truly described it was awsome.

IMHO by spending time on the river with our kids now, we will get them hooked on it, so when they get older and they feel more preasure from friends, school, or just our culture in general, we will have a common bond that will keep our family strong.

Let us know if you every want anothe family raft along.

muttster is offline   Reply With Quote

age, river age, too young, young