Old 05-19-2011   #1
How to turn on Clear Creek??

WTF??? It's the end of May and Clear Creek isn't running yet??? Can someone tell me how to get water running on Clear Creek?

basil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011   #2
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
a very large propane torch.

stubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011   #3
Boulder, Colorado
Its still snowing in the high country and building up the snowpack so quit your whining. When it comes it will be good and it will last, I would rather paddle it in july when its 85 out than now when it is 40. I'm guessing at least another week and a half until it is worth it, but my standards are different than others, getting excited either way.
tj@cu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011   #4
dillon, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Make it warm and sunny up here Right now it's snowing outside...still. Go skiing!!
chepora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011   #5
Evergreen, Colorado
Paddling Since: '92
Ran Black Rock on Tuesday at 190. It was fun. Its gonna be real high, real soon.
"We're gonna need a bigger boat"
CBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011   #6
Go up to Idaho springs and arrange for everyone to flush there toilets all at once
David H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011   #7
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
A few thousand tons of napalm would get clear creek cranking. It would also be a declaration of war or life time imprisonmnet.

Short of that... be patient. Clear creek won't start ramping up until the storms stop rolling through (another one on the way next week) and we get a handful of sunny and warm days that get the high country melting (ie 80's on the plains).

For what its worth, the historical average date that clear creek at golden hits 250 (my general min for blackrock) is May 14th. Seeing that its all of 4 days later than that, its not worth getting your panties in a wad. It will probably be at 1-2 weeks before it really starts ramping up.

For what its worth, I looked at 1983 flows for reference. (I think we have more snow than 83). Back then, peak was ~2300cfs, flows were 1000+ for about a month, and clear creek ran for the entire month of august at 400-500 cfs. hell yeah!

My prediction... late snows and rainfall prime the drainage, early june heatwave brings a massive peak, peak flows of 2500+, 20 lost boats, 30 lost paddles, 15,000 high fives.

Clear creek will be epic this year!

P.S. usgs peak flow measurements show 2370 as the highest peak on record since 1975. Think CRC has a shot with the caption "narrows at 3000".

Whats off? CRC, or usgs measurements? Either way, its huge.
deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011   #8
Maybe that's Gary E in that picture. That could account for the extra 25% of flow. It really doesn't look like much of rapid in that photo.
Grif for President!
deepstroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011   #9
Golden, Colorado
It turned on last night. I live in Golden and when I drove home from work in torrential rain and drove over the bridge the creek had plenty of water in it and it was chocolate milk. I'm sure Black Rock was a blast yesterday. 300 would have been plenty for that first Rigo run of the year but I missed it.
Ture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011   #10
Lakewood, Colorasta
Paddling Since: 1997
Nope thats an old schooler . . . Gary Jenrette maybe? Probrably just lookin for an eddy

Originally Posted by deepstroke View Post
Maybe that's Gary E in that picture. That could account for the extra 25% of flow. It really doesn't look like much of rapid in that photo.

Phillips is offline   Reply With Quote