Old 04-16-2010   #1
Woodbury, Tennessee
How to tell the year of a Jackson kayak?

Anybody know if there is any way to tell the year of a Jackson kayak? I am looking to buy my first, and one of the guys I'm talking to does not know what year his is. Surely there is some numerical scheme of sort printed on it somewhere.....

zecob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010   #2
Steamboat, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Pretty sure the last two digits on the S/N are year, so 05=2005, 07=2007.

kayakfreakus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010   #3
Woodbury, Tennessee
Thanks. I will pass this info along to the seller I am dealing with. If anybody else can confirm, that would be great. I wonder if all kayak manufacturers use the same method? Would be good to know for anybody looking to buy used.
Old 04-16-2010   #4
Moscow, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1995
The graphics on the boats change with each new design as well. What you're really trying to figure out is which version of the design he's selling; for instance, there are three generations of the Fun, three generations of the Stars, and two generations of the Hero. Each generation has a different graphic for the name of the design. Post a picture of the boat's "name" and it'll be easy to tell which generation it is.
"A river is more than an amenity, it is a treasure."
-Oliver Wendell Holmes writing for the majority in New Jersey v. New York
phlyingfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010   #5
Woodbury, Tennessee
Thanks phlyingfish.......more good info to know. I will definitely try and get a picture of the logo from him. I'm pretty sure the refresh of the Hero began in 2008. Anybody happen to know the year breakdown of the three generations of Fun series?
Old 04-16-2010   #6
I think Jackson has the idea to recreate boats like every three years. For the Fun series I believe the body types go 2004-classic, 2007-revision, 2010-newest version. I have had the classic and the 2007 version and have enjoyed both. Great boats. Outfitting changes more often than the hull shape. They make a few tweeks every year to the outfitting.

brokenpaddlejon is offline   Reply With Quote

jackson kayak year model, kayaking