Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 06-10-2007   #1
185 lb. waste of space, Keeping Glenwood Springs real
Paddling Since: 1864
How to sleep with supermodels on a bed of benjamins?

So I am at an awkward spot in my life, kinda done with school, still have to student teach, but other than that done. So I don't have a real job yet. I am working at a shop that is not giving me a lot of hours which is fine because it means more boatin time. Problem is I don't have enough money to go boatin all the time and it seems that most of you all work the 9to5 grind so lack of boatin partners during the week.
Question: How do you get enough money to boat all the time, but not have to worry about working too much?
No, I will never get sponsored, I have put my drug slinging days behind me, and i respect women to much to become a pimp, although my style will always be pimpin. I don't gamble so the lottery is out, plus that dollar means a slice of pizza or some ice cream when I roll.

970-217-21 six six
yourrealdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007   #2
Englewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
Not very helpful with supermodels, but...the times in my life when I paddled the most days per year (77,100,90, and 80 days respectively) there were two factors contributing, sometimes together. First, I worked at NOC, right on the water and could boat before/after work and/or at lunch/after dinner with ease. I always had boating partners and needless to say the water within an hour's drive was silly.

The other factor was doing a grad program that had no class on Friday - so Friday always was a skiing or boating opportunity. The program was in Denver, so I was close to enough water here. Also, in the summers, I had a boss who didn't care when I left work as long as the work was done and done well. So I left for Golden or Bailey most days around 3pm.

If boating as much as possible is truly your goal, I would get a job right next to the river similar to my job, which was at the outfitters store at NOC. I would not raft guide - us retail folks boated way more than the raft guides just because we didn't have to work so hard between guiding trips like they did. The other option is to get a job that allows you some flexibility such as web design - something that would let you work in the evenings.

Key to any approach like this is to lower your standard of living. You will probably have to live less gloriously than you did even as a student, but you will boat an awful lot.

Final thought - if you are an intellectual type, this might be harder than you would wish - I've seen many, many people who were brainy get burned out on river work in a few seasons, then go to grad school for a 9-to-5 because they needed intellectual stimulation in a job. I've known enough brainy raft guides in my time, but my observation is that they often end up being less than satisfied in that line of work.

I'd love to opine more, but the banner on the left shows that Brooks Brothers is having a sale and like most Buzzards, I wouldn't miss it for the world. In fact, I'm canceling my plans to head into the mountains after lunch.

Join up, suckas.

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid."
- Soren Kierkegaard
Caspian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007   #3
Marine Biologist
Self-employment or contract work where you can choose your contract start times. I worked in AK for 3 years (marine bio-fisheries data collection), 6 moths per year, and travelled the world and, yes, boated my ass off during the summers. Selling time in chunks means time off in large chunks too. Better than 9-5. Also, living where there is no off season works. Buy property on a river next to a play spot. Good luck
|^^^^^^^^^^^^\ ||
| BEER ................. | ||'""|""\__,_
| _____________ l ||__|__|___|)
will raft 4 beer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007   #4
185 lb. waste of space, Keeping Glenwood Springs real
Paddling Since: 1864
yeah i am planning on becoming a teacher so I will have the summers and winters off, its just going to be hard to find a job (history). Hopefully though I will make enough to shop at Brooks Brothers. It is my style especially the guy on the bottom right when you first open the link.
970-217-21 six six
yourrealdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007   #5
pnw, Washington
Please dont waste your youth working at a desk. I would do anything to have my youth back so that I could play more. Dont get a real job until you are at least 30 maybe 40.
"Yesterday I was clever and tried to change the world. Today I am wise and try to change myself." -Rumi
gh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007   #6
Newport, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1989
yeah, I always thought you were a "casual dad" type special k.

I am trying to nail down a job at a grouper hatchery in Indonesia that will kick my ass for a while then set me up to play for a few months/years. I will be back in the FoCo in July for some boatin. keep the water above 3.5 for me....
"Paddle silently, boof loudly"
Redpaddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007   #7
Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
I'm a grad student - it sucks during the school year - but now I come and go as I please so long as I get done what needs to be done. All work should be that way - I wonder how many hours a day someone working a 9 to 5 spends NOT working? I know when I worked 9 to 5 I only did about 15 minutes of real work a week . . . don't tell the 'Bobs'.

Think about marrying into money - not old money - but new dirty money.
BradM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007   #8
Marry a rich bitch, divorce her, and take all the cash..Thats the fact Jack. Idid it,and all I have to say is "See you on the river, SUCKA
bshack93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007   #9
????, Colorado
Paddling Since: ????
gh has got it right!

remember, if you are as into it as it sounds, that you can get food from the dumpster, find a motorhome or tent cheap or free, money sucks, live at the takeouts for the buddys and shuttles, and only boat with those that think saftey first. your choice, like gh said "you are only young and able once per" so follow your own path, but take it from us that have been there, "boat till you cant, then get the real job"

Originally Posted by gh View Post
Please dont waste your youth working at a desk. I would do anything to have my youth back so that I could play more. Dont get a real job until you are at least 30 maybe 40.
mommer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007   #10
Thought-criminal, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Dude, if I had it to do over again I would move to a ski town with good boating nearby and get a job washing dishes or waiting tables at night. That way your days are free to boat, bike or hit the bc depending on the season. Would your job be fulfilling? Perhaps. Dish is dirty...dish is clean. I've made a difference. Or friendly interaction with lots of customers at tables for a few hours. Either job -- easy to do stoned. So you're all set. Besides, any job would be tolerable after a day of fresh powder or running the gnar. You'd have to drink cheap beer, ration your gunj and live in Spartan accommodations, not to mention make your gear last as long as possible, duct tape style.

With a better job and more money comes more expenses and responsibility. You may find that overall your quality of living per se has not increased very much. I suppose that would depend on the criterion by which you judge "quality". It may be difficult to convince a good woman to live the hobo lifestyle for very long and if you require a good woman you may be s.o.l. Some people prefer having nothing but time and don't need any money. Others waste all their time making money they never have time to enjoy. I think it's best to strike a balance.

Nevertheless, I'll agree with the just hang out and do your thing for now camp. If you get sick of the ski/boat bumb lifestyle and get hungry it will motivate you to do something else. At least you did it when you had the chance. I'm poised to move to a ski town and be a dentist -- the closest to enjoying both worlds that I could come up with. But it's still a daytime job and the things we like to do are best done with the lights on. Get your mind out of the gutter.

I hope in the future Americans are thought of as a warlike, vicious people, because I bet a lot of high schools would pick "Americans" as their mascot. -Jack Handy
BastrdSonOfElvis is offline   Reply With Quote