Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 06-12-2007   #31
I'm wrong 50% of the time
RFV, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1977
Kiwi up a tree is a KID in New Zeland. Some people do take things seriously, others spout off at the keyboard with nothing useful to say. Get a clue. It's not just 30 somethings here on this board. Funny comments aside, being an @$$ is uncalled for.

Claimer: Someone that makes a claim that they have been there and done that, can do anything you can do better than you. I hate "claimers"
brendodendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007   #32
SE, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1986
Can't say about the supermodels. . .

For years, I worked seasonally for the FS, lived in a tent, and banked the cash, while intermittently going to college, usually one term each year. (Took me a long time to get degrees, but I did.)

The typical year started with winter quarter at USU in Logan, Utah, where there's great backcountry skiing and ice climbing. In spring I'd go to Wyoming, to feed cattle from a horsedrawn bobsled, and calve on a ranch, then fix the fences (30 pastures, 5000 acres). Then I'd do June-October with the Forest Circus, and save as much as I could, given the usual bad habits.

Sometimes, after leaving the FS, I'd help gather and sort cows. Then I'd buff out the 1960 VW bus and find my climbing partner. We'd head for the Valley and Tahquitz, by way of Redrocks. Then as the storms blew in, we'd retreat to J-Tree. We got way in with the campground hosts, usually cranky old buggers, so we were able to swap our names registering for a campsite and live there a month or two (helping to clean up campsites while scrounging leftover firewood and skimming the cream off the dumpsters) while we climbed zillions of pitches.

The whole time I worked on my writing, publishing poetry, stories for CLIMBING, enviro journalism: you name it. That led to a Stanford fellowship and publishing contracts.

In paprallel, my FS job ramped up (range grunt to range foreman to grazing cop to hydrology tech). My last gig, for seven years, involved monitoring (via boot and raft and skis) yearround in the Wind River Range.

At present, I write

Chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007   #33
SE, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1986
(Damn thing posted before I was done)

which is sketchy, and consult on hydro stuff.

The good part is that I can go boating tomorrow, if the water's up.

The point: choose how you want to live, and develop your talents to that end. Health coverage? Yeah, right.

yrs, Chip
Chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007   #34
I'll weigh in because I'm a teacher. Although I didn't start there. I finished my college degree in science. Decided I wanted to ski one year. Didn't understand the possibility it would become an obsession and that turned into 5 straight years skiing 130 days a year while bartending and waiting tables. It was paradise in a way but eventually I decided I wanted more to my life than just a nice bartending gig and powder.
Headed back got my teaching cert and master's. Got a job in Colorado teaching, picked up kayaking on my summers. Still got 40-50 days of skiing in a year, skiing pretty much every weekend and boating once that season began.
You can teach and find the time. It can also eat you alive and if you want spend every waking hour working on it. Something like 50% of the teachers quit in the first five years. Make sure you find a balance. The first couple years are hard and then it gets easier.
My advice find a school with teachers that have similar interests as yourself. Make sure you meet some of the staff before hand. You can wind up in some bad positions if you are not careful. If you're doing your student teaching in the fall then I would get your name in as a sub in the spring in an area of colorado you're interested in. This gives you a chance to scope out the schools, kids, teachers, admin and find place that fits you. If you see a job opening and you haven't been to the school, take your resume their yourself, find out the principal's name and ask if you can meet the principal. If you get an interview ask if you can see a classroom.
Remember you're not going to be an outstanding teacher your first year no matter how many hours you put in. Slowly though you build up a good rythym and a bag of tricks and it becomes a fun thing.
I teach science so jobs are a bit easier to come by, history is tougher. A lot of history teachers I've seen hired subbed first in that school. Good luck.
vardaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007   #35
Metro Area, Colorado
Teaching is the S*#$

I would like to chime in here as well. I got out of college and went straight into the corporate managment ladder. I found much success and was promoted pretty much annually for 3 years. I had a multi-million dollar operation under my control, 20 employees, and the pay checks were great. Only one problem...I worked about 50-60 hours a week and had NO life.

I was miserable and knew something had to change. So I thought a long time about what is it that I am really looking for in life. I came to the conclusion that I wanted a job that would make a difference while not consuming all of my life (and energy). Teaching was it! I have taken a HUGE pay cut, and had to go back to school to get my teaching cert. but it was 100% worth it. I have plenty of free time which has drastically increased my quality of life, I am never stressed from work anymore, and am overall a much happier person that I ever was before.

Oh and by the way...I have summers off so paddling everyday (while still getting a paycheck at the end of the month) is very much my reality. I will never be rich but I am one of the more wealthy people I know!

Good luck in your search.
cecil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007   #36
Englewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
Originally Posted by cecil View Post
I will never be rich but I am one of the more wealthy people I know!
Yes, but you hang out with kayakers, that ain't saying much! LOL I know what you mean though. In most ways the richest times in my life I was living in a pretty spartan fashion.
Join up, suckas.

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid."
- Soren Kierkegaard
Caspian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007   #37
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Originally Posted by Chip View Post
Health coverage? Yeah, right.

yrs, Chip
That's one hell of a life, Chip!

No health sucks, I don't care what you say. If you're one of the lucky you make it through unscathed, but if you're like my friend who got hit in the head by rockfall while guiding in the Cascades and is now spending the rest of his life paying mondo bucks for his hospital trip then you understand that outdoor play lifestyles and no health insurance is a bad mix.

Which brings me to the bottom line: why NOT teach when you get mucho time off AND health insurance? Dirtbagging is cheap, so the teacher's pay is like buckets of gold to those of us who don't value material things (beyond our rack, skis or boats). You have summers to climb, boat, whatever...the only season that really suffers is the ski season, and as you read there are teachers still getting 50-60 days of skiing in a year! That's huge!

Give me a teaching job and I'm there.

BTW, does anyone know what it would take a guy with a math degree to get into a teaching gig in CO?
climbhoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007   #38
the fort, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Originally Posted by climbhoser View Post
BTW, does anyone know what it would take a guy with a math degree to get into a teaching gig in CO?
here's what my wife did: she has a bachelor's in ED but not for teaching, for therapeutic recreation. she decided she wanted to teach, so she applied to UNC to go through their post-baccalaureate program that licenses you to teach in this state. they take 25 out of about 150 applicants each year. classwork was pretty intense. it was a full summer schedule and the following fall and spring semesters with pretty full grad level classloads both semesters. on top of the classwork in the spring, she student taught at an elem school here in the fort. with the great connections she made from student teaching, she wound up getting a job there. this summer she is taking the three classes necessary to complete her master's in ed from UNC. her licensure and master's won't come cheap (about $13k total), but her happiness and sanity at the end of the day make it worthwhile, plus having her master's will get her about a $4k raise next year.

fort lewis offers a similar program. one of our friends just finished that one up. regis university offers a similar same thing, but it's mucho deniro. CSU offers it for high-school level teachers. there have to be alternative licensure programs available in denver.
By the waterside I will lay my head.
Listen to the river sing sweet songs to rock my soul.
the_dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007   #39
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1991
Your dilemma sounds all too familiar. i went through a time in the early 80's when I was cycling. Cast around for jobs that had freedom to train/race, enough money to live on (barely), and health coverage. Became a flight attendant for American. Then it was three on, four or five days off. I was essentially a paid rider. Worked great for a while...met a ton of cuties and traveled to races wherever I pleased. I raced in Europe, Brazil, Canada. In winter I logged 100+ days for about 5 yrs. And when real life started I was able to move on with absolutly no regrets. Now my son is asking the same exact questions. My advice? Try "hoods in the woods/on rivers"....Outward Bound...Nols...Teach in the Durango School district or Fort Lewis college. All these things will make you a better teacher when you do want to settle down. And as for settling down later, it is not so much of a compromise as it is looking for new challenges. It is pretty sweet to kill it at work, then on a powder day shred the hell out of my young employees who thought I was just an old bald washed up dude
robatnordic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007   #40
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Muchas gracias, Dude.

it's definitely something I have to explore. I totally wish I had done it when I was younger, but I convinced myself that teaching remedial math would drive me nuts and that I needed to teach advance, pure mathematics at a college level to stay happy. I'm of the opinion now that even giving young kids a *glimpse* at how powerful math is can be enjoyable and rewarding.

I'll have to check out Denver's programs.

climbhoser is offline   Reply With Quote