Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 06-11-2007   #11
school boy
Send a message via AIM to kiwi up a tree Send a message via MSN to kiwi up a tree
[quote=bshack93;70159]Marry a rich bitch, divorce her, and take all the cash..Thats the fact Jack. Idid it,and all I have to say is "See you on the river, SUCKA[/quote

are you tring to get attention , be cool or wat? cause it didnt work.

kiwi up a tree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007   #12
185 lb. waste of space, Keeping Glenwood Springs real
Paddling Since: 1864
All right that being said, Evan when you come out in July hit me up, I am saddened that you didn't call me last summer when you got out here. How can you do that to the guy you learned to paddle with? Second, unfortunately the Salida Police nabbed me for a speeding ticket so that hurts the wallet, but does anyone want to go boating not this next week, but the week of the 17th. I have Mon the 18th through Sat the 23rd off (see don't work much). I am down to go anywhere the water is flowing and I should have enough money to buy some gas, peanut butter and bread. Cascade Creek/Upper Animas maybe if it is running?

970-217-21 six six
yourrealdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007   #13
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
I disagree with the folks that say play when young, work when old and here's why:

I have a good friend who is a teacher. He started when he was 23 and took an early retirement when he was 46 and now he's done. Granted, he's done running the gnar, but he had every summer off to do that anyways. He was never a bigtime skier...yeah, he did it and had fun, but his seasons were spring summer and fall...a big hunter and boater. So, he had two weeks to ski in winter, and he spent 14 days doing just that...plus he left work at work and had solid weekends to do what he wanted with it. He loved his job, felt good about it and still even had some free weekdays (getting done at 3 is a pretty good deal) to put a fly in the water.

He even took a year off as a sabbatical and lived in his family cabin in Breckenridge, worked on the hill doing food services part time and skied all the time. Then he just boated his ass silly.

Teaching is an awesome gig for the guy who wants a family but loves his free time and doesn't value spendy crap like cars and watches and plasma screens and shiz.

I was going to be a teacher, but after 6.5 years of undergrad and two degrees when the fat bitch behind the desk told me it would be at least 2-3 years more of undergrad studies to get my teaching cert I decided it wasn't worth it and I took a 9-5. I hate it like a muthafucka, but I get awesome health insurance, I'm paid a huge wad and my newborn daughter is taken care of as my wife can afford to stay home.

If I had it to do over again I would have been more serious in school, gone to grad school and tried the whole professor thing...or just jumped on top of the teaching opportunity sooner. Now I'm stuck with no time and an ass job.

The plus is that I can afford new boats, afford trips to go boating, afford new skis, afford new skins, afford gas to get skiing, afford good food, afford feeding my wife and daughter and my daughter gets parent time all day every day instead of being stuck with some stupid day care ho trying to force a bottle down her throat.

I just don't have any damn time....
climbhoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007   #14
Newport, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1989
it appears to me that the lesson of climbhoser's story is to not have kids. Kids cost more than kayaks, and are less bouyant in rapids. good point.

(no offense, I'm sure your daughter is a wonderful ball of joy climbhoser)
"Paddle silently, boof loudly"
Redpaddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007   #15
Indian Hills, Colorado
Health insurance is the real mutha-fucka. It seems like a 40-hour week is a requirement for decent employer coverage...if you pay on your own, thats another few hundered a month premium. Hate to say it, but when you play hard, the chances are it will result in an expensive injury sooner or later.
DanOrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007   #16
oh yeah
nursing. two year associates degree followed by working full time (three 12 hour shifts a week) and the opportunity to travel anywhere in the US. then, living in a major metropolitan city will allow you to work "agency" where an agency calls you in the morning and asks if you feel like working. to which you reply "one moment while i check the flows/ snow report". agency nurses earn about $30- 40/ hour.

danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007   #17
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
and the teacher's health insurance is cherry.

Yeah, having kids puts a dent in things for sure. Like I said, if it weren't for the kid I'd probably be a teacher, too.

Or just teaching ski lessons, raft guiding, fly guiding and rock guiding like I was doing before. All that stuff together didn't get me half my current salary, though, and of course no health insurance or anything...just a lot of really fun jobs.

Oh, and the guy who said raft guides with intellect get burned out must not have had any interesting clients. One of the best aspects of being a guide is the opportunity to meet and talk with a very wide variety of characters from all over.

That said, some of the most interesting guys in camp turn into the biggest chumps when they get on the water/snow/rock whatever. On the flipside, I have a friend who guided Eugene Levy down the Salmon in Idaho...pretty cool. And you can have amazing conversations, if you're up to it...but you need to be a people person.

If I were a teacher I would continue to raft guide in the summer for the dough and the sheer joy of it. Yeah, I might not spend as much time in my 'yak as others, but a few days a week is plenty.

By the way, what's wrong with safety boating? I knew a Nepalese National Champion rodeo boater who ran the safety kayak for a compay I worked for. This dude would run the IV playboating stretch in front of all of us and play on every feature on his way down while the rafts sat above in an eddy getting watered up, scouting lines, etc...then then he'd get into an eddy, sit with his rope on his deck and wait for swimmer, etc...then he'd playboat the rest of the stretch behind us to clean up. What a job!

Teaching rawks...and hey, you never know, you might be teaching your kids kayaking one spring!
climbhoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007   #18
185 lb. waste of space, Keeping Glenwood Springs real
Paddling Since: 1864
Yeah I am looking forward to teaching, it will be a sweet gig. I love kids and both my parents are teachers so it runs in the blood and I taught kayaking last year and would have done it again if the company hadn't folded (not my fault)I am just having problems balancing work and play right now. And kids are not in the picture. As soon a I can afford it I am getting a snip job. Call it selfish but I am having too much fun to clean up poop and puke, not sleeping. I would rather travel the world with my shuttle bunny and shower her with all of my teacher riches.
970-217-21 six six
yourrealdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007   #19
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 94
I think Budha, or whatever his name is, says, if you want less you have more. Try minimizing your expenses. Of course it comes at a cost, but is that worth it so you can boat all the time. PB&J is good. But really I wish I knew, cause I'd hop on dat train. Didn't read the posts, just the question.

Move into your truck. Go grocery shopping. Break up with Girl Friend. Shower at rest areas. Take food from dumpster and soup kitchens. Beg, but never steal. Quit smoking. Document.
iliketohike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007   #20
Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999

go crab fishing in alaska once a year than you have like 18 hours a day to go boating theres a good idea, than head to coasta rica if you are running low

caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote