Old 04-24-2012   #11
mountains, Colorado
Paddling Since: '92
Originally Posted by GC Guide View Post
What does a canyon wren sound like from a motor boat?

How can you tell if the person you're talking to is a river guide? They'll tell you. (I guess it's in the screen name this time....)

caseybailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012   #12
Four less days. Rig and derig "barge" 10+? times.
Sounds like you will have a lot less time for hikes.

Best way to add hiking time is to use all those hours
and hours of people just sitting around camp!
Another way to add hiking time is to hand out lunch with breakfast
and everyone can eat when THEY are hungry and you don't waste
an hour every day finding a good lunch beach, setting up, eating way too much and taking down and cleaning up.

I really enjoy the long lazy floats between the rapids.
Best time to enjoy the view, the solitude and the QUIET.

Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012   #13
Reno, Nevada
The more I think about the hassles of motoring and the beauty forfeited the better rowing sounds. We'll take that into serious consideration.

Thanks for all those who shared experiences both ways. Motored or rowed, it wil be amazing!
Psyched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012   #14
Orem, Utah
Paddling Since: 1969
Originally Posted by Psyched View Post
Any other suggestions are welcome!
You left yourself open for everyone's opinion with that one.

If you decide on motors don't tow. Towed boats have a mind of their own and will slow you down. Lash a boat to each side, or push. I have a friend who has done several of these trips and is doing another one this summer. They take three rafts and three cats with the motors on the cats. When they want to motor they nest/dock a raft in front of a cat and go. After the first day they got it down to where they could dock or undock in about 2 minutes.

Now my suggestion (pronounced opinion). I have been a commercial guide in the Canyon for a long time and done both motor and oar. I prefer oars. As has been stated earlier in this thread, your trip will have to be 4 days shorter if you take the motors. So with or without the motors, you will be able to get in about the same amount of hiking, maybe more with the oars only. And you will have the quiet of the canyon all the time. There are other ways of making time on the river. Sack lunches has been mentioned, have quick and easy no cook breakfasts once in a while so you are on the water sooner, etc.

To all you motor haters out there: be nice, motors are people too.
You had me at 'Hey, Row'
kikii875 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012   #15
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Originally Posted by kikii875 View Post
There are other ways of making time on the river. Sack lunches has been mentioned, have quick and easy no cook breakfasts once in a while so you are on the water sooner, etc.

To all you motor haters out there: be nice, motors are people too.
I agree. I would also second the earlier suggestion to get on the water earlier, and to stay on the water later. Get on the river by 8 a.m. or so. Yeah, you have to get up early, but it's light by 5 a.m. anyways. And it's hot as hell the second the sun hits you in the morning. Rigging in the sun is probably my least favorite experience in the Canyon. The same goes on the other end. Wait to roll into camp until 4-5 p.m. The chances of it being shady are way higher. You can always find a nice side canyon to shade up in for a chunk of the day. It's amazing how many trips you'll see pulled into camp around 1 or 2 p.m. No one is doing anything because it's so hot. Or you can do more miles on those days to allow for shorter mileage days for hiking.

The other time saver I always suggest is to spend as little time below Lava as possible. From the Tuckup-Fern Glen reach it is easy to run Lava around lunch and then proceed to somewhere between 192 and Parashant camps. Then from there to 220 for your last night. Yeah, they're really long days, but it gives you an extra day above the land of hateful heat. There are cool things to do out there, but it's hot and shade is hard to come by. We usually just push on through that stretch. Breaking that up by camping at Tequila beach, right below Lava, is always reasonable also. That gives you hiking time in Tuckup or National canyons.

Anyways, maybe a bit long on the description, but those are my two suggestions for saving time!

CanyonEJ is offline   Reply With Quote