Old 07-09-2004   #1
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
How to get bent

Hi, guys.
I've paddled with a staright-shaft paddle since I learned 2 1/2 years ago - just bought a cheap used one and haven't had any complaints with it.
But I recently started developing pain/discomfort in my right wrist after a lot of paddling. Then, yesterday, my paddle broke.
Do I want to replace it with a bent-shaft? Are folks pretty confident the bent-shafts alleviate wrist troubles?
I only used a bent-shaft once - guy let me take it out on a surf wave we were at. Went out once, hit the wave, flipped, rolled, back into the eddy -- Did NOT like the way the bent-shaft felt. Felt weird, my roll felt funny, everything felt funny. Handed it back to him and said Gimme my straight-shaft back. (But this was before the wrist trouble started)
SO, is the "weird" feeling at first normal? Do I still want a bent-shaft? CKS says they only have two paddles for demo - an AT and a Werner (I don't even know what size/model etc.
I could spend about $200 on a paddle, and I need to make it happen within the next 8-10 days (before the water's gone!!) Where could/should I rent/demo? What models? How much do I need to spend for a solid paddle that will last a few years?
Any advice would be MUCH appreciated.
-Mike G.

Id725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2004   #2
A-Town!, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
Please use the search button. This topic has been discussed lots before. Yes, they are good too.

ec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2004   #3
You have to get used to the bent shaft - especially when you set up to roll. It's different but you will get used to it. Try the Werner and try the AT... you will like one over the other but probably not both. Worry about size later. Short and less offset are nice - maybe a 30 or 15 degree works sweet for me. Just get one. You'll see.

Now go out and use the search function.
Like it or not, all of us are the result of a sexual act.
Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2004   #4

yes get a bent shaft. it will feel weird at first, but then you will never go back to a straight shaft paddle. I paddled with the cheap AT paddle for 2 years ($250.00 being "cheap"). I broke the blade and got a werner player last month. the first day with it I was at the BV hole, and the US freestyle team was there. I spent the entire afternoon blowing rolls and carping, looking like a chump in front of the us kayak team. this was because I went from a 45 degree offset to a 30 degree offset. Two months later I love my paddle and feel that it has helped my playboating alot, also it is a little shorter than the AT.
One other thing to consider is wether you get foam blades or a glass/plastic setup. I feel foam filled blades make rolling slightly easier, but sacrifice durability.
long story short, yes it will feel weird at first but it is worth it!
BEANER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2004   #5
Englewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
I creek with a Werner Sidekick and play with an AT2 Flexi. Both are outstanding. I found the Werner easier to transition to from a straight shaft, but that's a very minor matter. My wrists don't feel anything whan I paddle with either one, it's nice.

I would say that if you have a propensity for tendonitis in the elbows avoid the Werner carbon shafts. At least for me, they absolutely kill my elbows. I'm luckly enough to have one of the original fiberglass ones, so I don't have the problem, but I've used the carbon ones quite a bit and thoroughly hate them. The blades on my Werner are wearing down badly after four years of hard use - if Werner doesn't make a glass BS again, won't make me a custom glass BS, or won't put new blades on my old glass BS, I'll have to start creeking with the less durable AT2 or buy a clunkier AT3 before long. Carbon looks cool, but as far as I'm concerned, it belongs in blades or slalom paddle shafts, not in a freestyle paddle shaft.
Join up, suckas.

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid."
- Soren Kierkegaard
Caspian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2004   #6
Socratic Philosopher
Waterstick Zen, bent, 12 degree offset. Carbon, light, Super powerful. Love it. Hit the lake a few times to get used to it.
Yes I am a pirate, two hundred years too late. The cannons don't thunder, there's nothin' to plunder. I'm an over forty victim of fate.
el gordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2004   #7
Snowmass ski patrol
EC made a reference to a search mode on this topic. Not being much of a computer guy I cant figure out how to do such a search. Someone PLEASE help me...
Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2004   #8
Englewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
Go to the top of this page and click on "Search" - located just below the word "Snow" in the header bar. Then demo demo demo before you buy.

Join up, suckas.

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid."
- Soren Kierkegaard
Caspian is offline   Reply With Quote