Old 05-26-2004   #1
How quickly can the upper animas be run?

I'm refering to the adventure race on june 20:
including the first part of the box. That is a long way to be stroking for all you're worth....

deckhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2004   #2
Renaissance Redneck
Huson, Montana
Paddling Since: 1988
i'm pretty interested in that myself
i've been sending beta to my friend in WV who just got hired to shoot video of the kayak leg of that race
she's wondering just how to go about it
i think a lot will depend on water level

"You're gonna be doin a lot of doobie rolling when youre LIVIN IN A VAN DOWN BY THE RIVER"
LSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2004   #3
Send a message via MSN to Timmy
I was just talking to a friend about that the other day. He isn't a kayaker, but talked to a bunch of people who had run the whole thing. Most of the times he found were in the 6-8 hour range. Can anyone else confirm this time frame?

Timmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2004   #4
placerville, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
we have run it non-stop straight through at 4000 in about 3 hrs
steven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004   #5
that sounds faster than I thought

Out of curiosity, I know all rivers are different, but what does the upper section of Rockwood box compare to. The description kind of reminds me of the way pine creek feels
Old 05-27-2004   #6
The Rockwood Box is a much bigger water feel than almost any other run in Colorado. It is walled in, has huge boils, and some big holes. Most of the holes can be paddled through or around with enough effort. Mandatory thrashing was at a level last Sunday where it was hard to find your line. However, all 4 of us found some way of getting through it, but not always upright.

I think the scariest part is the fact that it is big and walled in, so scouting and swimming isn't really an option. The takeout is slightly tough to find too. You either need a guide your first time, or you really need to hike down and scout it.

If I were racing I would be practicing like hell, because the Box is an exhausting 2 mile paddle. I'd be expecting carnage. Likewise the most exciting video footage would be inside the box.
Kyle McCutchen
Cutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004   #7
Charc in = charc out
Seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 1992
kyle, why aren't you racing???

you chauncey ...

ToddG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004   #8
Anybody who frequents this forum racing? I have some friends that asked me to do the paddling part. they offered free gas and food to drive out from duluth, minnesota. I'm trying to decide what to do quickly. I've never run the Animas before and am trying to get an idea of what to expect. If I came out it would only be for fun, I'd have no expectations of winning or doing great.... I'm a competant class 5 boater that has never had a problem with elevation, but I wouldn't want to get spanked or hurt bad either....
Old 05-28-2004   #9

I would make sure to run the entire river before you race it. If you do it once you should be fine. If you don't paddle it at least once I think you might find yourself deep in some big hole. In terms of difficutly expect miles and miles of cold class IV.

T, I'm having trouble commiting because the steamboat rodeo is that weekend, and I hate paddling 80% of the Upper A. It's cold, and not technical at all. Plus to really do well I would have to use a downriver boat. I've never paddled a wavehopper (and wouldn't in the Rockwood), and I suck at paddling round bottom boats. If it were all creek boats I think I'd be all over it. It's still a consideration.

I would definetly do it if we just ran the Rockwood box, or better yet run 3rd gorge lime into the Rockwood box. You should propose that next year. Have the mountain bike race end at Purgatory Flats (across from the ski area), then the boaters race their boats down a mile and a half hike, put on, have two portages, race the class IV creek, and then run the big water of the Upper A. Oh yeah, and hike out of the Rockwood to the parking area. Now that would be a sick and manageable race. I've done that run twice this year, and racing it I think it would take about 4-5 hours, plus you get some creek and big water to test paddlers in both aspects. If one log where cut out it would make the second portage easy. As it is you have to hand boats down a suto cliff. Plus the video footage in there would blow people's mind. Super scenic with fun drops, and creek boat only....that would be an amazing race without all of the other sports.

Seriously, mention that to the race organizers. Screw the 18 miles of class IV wave trains. Who the hell wants to watch that?
Kyle McCutchen
Cutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004   #10
Thanks for tha advice, I think it's a good idea to know what's ahead before bombing something, I'm still up in the air right now, but would like to make it out a week early and do some creeking and take a run or two down the Animas if/when I come out. I too think it would be incredibly fun to have a downriver race on a scenic creek, plus the technical aspect would be pretty nice. Will the creeks be running that late in the spring?