Old 02-07-2009   #21
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1975
yes, you're too old.

obviously, that 71 year old dude didn't get the memo either.

upshitscreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009   #22
bc, CA
Paddling Since: 2007
Great advice Phil...Glad to know there are other 50ish paddlers still lovin it!!!

brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009   #23
Crested Butte, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1987
Hey Brenda. I'm almost 48 and still paddle hard on class IV and some easier V and love it. You only need to paddle what feels good to you but just to paddle is everything. This sport will give you more joy and satisfaction and an appreciation for life than any other. Just be careful to take the progression carefully. Class I, then II, then III etc. This sounds elemental but many people take it too fast and get scared away. Enjoy and have respect!!
jeffsssmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009   #24
x, x
Paddling Since: x
YEAH!.........My wife is 31, on the couch watching a movie, realy gettin' after it...

she's gonna kill me when she reads this....
bobbuilds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009   #25
Fruita, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1982
Paddle to Live, Live to Paddle
If there ever was such a thing as magic it is found in moving water.........
Practice collapsing your own wave function! Surf a wave!
ric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009   #26
Hey Brenda,
Iím 53 as long as my Alzheimer meds last Iím good to go on the river. Some times I forget the name of my kayaking buds but thatís all right I just call them all DUDE
David H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009   #27
crested butte, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
Send a message via Yahoo to milo
.....too old?......

....just when i thought i was old enough to "build a rack, and hang IT up"...this thread gets started....thanks BRENDA!!!! guess i'll have to give it another go next is just so difficult to keep up with the young guns these days....they are smarter, tougher and better looking than us grey hairs...i used that hair product TOUCH OF GREY and it went horribly all i have is a "touch of brown".............brenda, i turned 45 on feb 5, therefore i'm looking to pull off a ball busting double run on my favorite section of water.....i am only trying this because of my age and because my brain keeps writin' checks that my dumb ass must go try to cash.....young guns would wither under the stress and weight of their kayak(no offense wippersnappers).....we're gonna climb out my 3000' vert steep assed SHORTCUT, get straight into a vehicle and be back at the put-in for round 2.....the BLACK can put the hurting on ya doing it once....i want to feel the near bonk feeling in there and all attempts have failed(multisporting events) are only as old as the people surround yourself with....i'm gonna go ski some shiat with some 10 yr olds today.....happy aging to all.....(ps, too much alcohol and cigarettes dirty-up the map to the fountain of youth)-only my opinion....old-lo 420 cb
milo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009   #28
Renaissance Redneck
Huson, Montana
Paddling Since: 1988
If youre like me you hit it so hard that you eventually get burned out and ready to do something else..... I worked on skis for 10 years = now I dont bother to ski in less that a foot of fresh.... I video boated for a while and play boated every day for about 15 years = now my class V days are over and I would rather drink beer on my raft.
My point is, if it's fun then get after it till it's not fun anymore then move on.
Oh... BTW, my mother in law paddels class III in her duckie and does solo trips in the Boundry Waters at 73.
In the Immortal words of Lowell George "Doin' the old folks boogie And boogie we will"
"You're gonna be doin a lot of doobie rolling when youre LIVIN IN A VAN DOWN BY THE RIVER"
LSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009   #29
bc, CA
Paddling Since: 2007
Milo...I can't believe you think 45 is too old. I am 7 years older than you and just started paddling 2 years ago. Get out there again!!! I am physically strong after many years of rock climbing, it is just my head that plays games with me. hubby is 12 years younger than I so he keeps me inspired. Thanks for all the encouraging post!
brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009   #30
Monroe, Utah
Paddling Since: 1990
I'm 63. Started in 1970.

Can't wait until next year. Gonna retire so I can ski tele when the powder's fresh and boat when the water's best. Only get's better. No shoulder problems yet. Excercises and being picky about what I run help with that. 52 jest kid's stuff. You'll have a blast. Bringin' my grandkids to Glenwood to play in the park and ski at Sunlight the weekend of Feb. 20-21st. Come on down! Ron.

When the river stands in awe of me as I do her, I'll know I'm a kayaker.
Ron is offline   Reply With Quote