Old 02-07-2009   #11
at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
If, in a couple of years, you are paralyzed in a car accident, what do you think you'll wish your decision was? It sounds like you just need a confidence boost. Maybe that means some like-aged folks to boat with, or maybe it means some younger folks to rejuvenate you. You're not out of options yet, so Hit the water!

I am a river, babe - I've got plenty of time, I don't know where I'm going, I'm just following the lines..... - "We are water" by Shaye
lhowemt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009   #12
bc, CA
Paddling Since: 2007
Posts: 316 are so right about thinking who you should paddle with. I learn't to roll before I ever went on a river and have been able to roll in just about anything, until I paddled with "a new friend" who took me down a section of river that he assured me had nothing dangerous - and I paddled right into a keeper hole and took a nasty swim. My own fault I should have not taken someones word for it and scouted first. It put a bit of a damper on the rest of the season for me. I'm looking forward to better decisions this year.

brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009   #13
bc, CA
Paddling Since: 2007
brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009   #14
Grand Junction, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005

I think you should talk to a guy on this site that goes by mtn guy xc. He is about 50 years old and he is someone that us paddlers on the Western Slope work at keeping up with. I only hope to be in the shape that he is when I am his age. Age is only important if you are wine or cheese!! Don't second guess.

Stonewalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009   #15
pnw, Washington
ScottW and I paddle with the same 71 year old and he is probably in better shape than I am. Starting later in life just means that you dont follow 21 yr old ex-marines (you know who you are) into stuff that "looks fine" and then again maybe you do but get out there and enjoy it.
"Yesterday I was clever and tried to change the world. Today I am wise and try to change myself." -Rumi
gh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009   #16
Steamboat Springs, CO
Paddling Since: 1995
When you get too old take up sea kayaking or canoeing on flat rivers. Ill be paddling Lab when Im close to 70, lol
Tiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009   #17
Summit, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Send a message via AIM to COUNT
You're never too old to rock'n'roll if you're too young to die.-Tull
"The world would be a better place if everyone kayaked."-Brad Ludden (Valhalla)
"You only get one chance to run a drop blind."-DD
COUNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009   #18
Spits Hot Fire
N. Cascades, Washington
PAGING MNPADDLER! He still gets after it.

^^^you really do have to speak up for him though.
FLOWTORCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009   #19
Rockledge, Florida
Originally Posted by Tiggy View Post
When you get too old take up sea kayaking or canoeing on flat rivers. Ill be paddling Lab when Im close to 70, lol
Um, dude, if your ever in Florida look me up and I'll take you sea kayaking. Letmesee...paddling on the Atlantic Ocean with 4-5 rolling swells, beach out of site, a shark or 2 passing to take a sniff---the BIG WIDE OCEAN IN A LITTLE BOAT...sea yaking is not for the faint of heart either! Sea Kayaking or canoeing (snort, snort).

But I get your sentiment. Die with a paddle in your hand. Same here.
LagoonYaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009   #20
Paddling Since: 96
Hi Brenda,

I started boating at 46 and now I'm 58. I'm damn glad to have found paddling. I blew out a knee in my 30's and lost access to the sports I grew up loving. Now I've got paddling, and the passion I have for it and the folks I hang with cuz of it make a huge difference in my life. I hope to keep getting out in one form or another until... I can't.
I can't paddle at the level I once did and I often paddle with young studs and studdettes that are much better than me. The trick is to really get to know yourself. The point is to have fun, though I'm an adrenaline junky too, but always be willing to scout and/or walk and don't put yourself in a position where yer paddling with people that don't support you doing that. Find a good group, a club can be a good way to expand paddling connections, that's paddling stuff yer comfortable with. Push when you feel it, walk or run something different when you feel that.

But if you've got the fever, the passion, then I say stoke it, feed it. How often do we get to do/love something so much that's so good for us? Hope you have a great season. I know I'm really looking forward to mine.

Phil U. is online now   Reply With Quote