Old 07-13-2009   #1
Mountains on the river!!!, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2002
How low can SF or NF Crystal be run?

What is the lowest and not boat destruction that either the SF or NF Crystal be run. Its at 500 now and supposed to be good at the punchbowls, but I can't get up for a couple weeks. So high side of low or low side of medium would correspond to what at the gauge at Avalanche?

ski_kayak365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009   #2
Indian Hills, Colorado
whats up josh. we were up on the nf and ran cake, icing and the 12'er. flow was around 750. just my speculation that you could run it down to about 400 or so. obviously the less the water the more abuse. my opinion is that unless you were going to run the punchbowls and the nf it is not worth going. we took the mtn bikes so it made it better, but it is along way in on a 4x4 rd to just run the nf. the camping and scenery is awesome up there and the water is not to cold.

if you are just going to run the punchbowls, go through CB and up scofield pass. you may have to hike down less than a mile but the road is ALOT better than coming from marble.

Jace Crane
720 290 0499
crane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009   #3
Stout, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
north and south fork of the crystal

The north and south fork are at good med low flows hucked the north fork and roadside double this past weekend. The big punchbowls should be good next weekend, no sure about north fork.
friscofreeskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009   #4
Cumming, Georgia
Paddling Since: 2004
if you go up to sf, look out for a red nomad

i lost my red nomad up there about 3 weeks ago in the log jam downstream of the punchbowls, and i couldnt get it out. i live in ga and had to leave a few days after i lost it. if ypu gop up there, look around for it if you would. thanks!

clucas91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009   #5
Austin, Tejas
Paddling Since: 2004
Striker! What up? The S.F. couldn't have been much over 300 when we ran it last summer. The slides were a bit more like scrapes; but the double drops went fine as did the punchbowls. Take care!
CLIMACVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009   #6
Clay - word is your red nomad is broken beyond salvage. It has been seen by several a ways below the punchbowls. FYI, if you leave a boat in the river and ask others to remover it, they usually get to keep it as a reward for removing the litter if it's a big mission to get it. Your boat would be a big mission to get. Sorry about your loss. I think someone posted more info about this in your original thread.

American Whitewater's website and river stewardship projects are funded by paddlers. Please join, renew, or make a donation to help us protect whitewater rivers in Colorado and nationwide.
Meng is offline   Reply With Quote