Old 09-22-2011   #1
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997
How long will Gore be going strong?

I'm a southeastern kayaker newly translpanted to Colorado, and hoping to get a Gore run in this year... this weekends pretty busy for me (sunday's a slight possibility...) and I'm wondering if I can still get a run in next weekend.

If it drops under 1K is it still pretty popular?

justinm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011   #2
B.F.E., Wyoming
you can run it down to like 400. Probably lower but I dunno....

freexbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011   #3
Copper Mountain, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
There will be people running it well into October. Personal low for me was in the 500cfs range and it was still good to go.
Cphilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011   #4
Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Green Mountain Reservoir is 4 ft from full, and they haven't done any releases yet this fall....I haven't heard rumor of an increased release anytime soon, but there is a good chance someone will call for water downstream before the winter, so it may last a LONG time this year.
GARNAís mission is to foster stewardship of the resources of the greater Arkansas River region through education, volunteerism and experiences.
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011   #5
Ashville North Carolina, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1983
Gore is fun at all flows. It changes character a lot with every 100 cfs. I plan on going as much as I can until it's frozen or too cold for fun. My personal cut off is 27F or windy below 35F. I'm usually up for another lap anytime. I'm always happy to help with shuttle or to help show the ways down. It's not as popular when it is below a grand, many paddlers who are close enjoy it until the powder is good. 612.710.1462
~Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011   #6
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Next weekend should be good to go for gore.

Gore sees a lot of traffic in aug and sept, but popularity drops in october and below around 800-900 cfs.

There is still a dedicated group of paddlers who don't mind cold or low flows that go thru october down to 400 cfs. I enjoy the low flows as gore turns creeky and still has some quality moves.
deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011   #7
Its been 6+ years since I've done Gore and not sure I remember all the lines. Mostly did it in the 900-1100 range. Even then it was near edge of ability level. Am a somewhat better boater w/ better boat but at 54 yrs old am a bit hesitant to jump back in. What is the easiest level for a reintroduction run?
treewell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011   #8
Wolcott, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Around 1000 is a good level to go back in. Less pushy but still pretty padded. Easy to scout and walk anything you dont want to run. Just go in with someone that knows the lines well. Although at 54 you will need someone to help you get down to the putin without your walker

JDHOG72 is offline   Reply With Quote