Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 03-30-2005   #1
How is the paint holding up on your Remuda Rack?

My Remuda rack (round bars) is not even 2 years old yet and its beginning to look like ass. It's getting rusty and the paint seems to scrape off even from boats sliding along the beams. All areas that are foward facing are chipped and rusted. Not to bitch about the rack, it's great, I was just wondering with all the Remuda Racks I see out there, has anyone found a paint that adheres better? Remuda wants $150 to do the job. I don't want the same crappy paint for that much. I figure I'll need to sand it, and maybe prep it with something before I paint it. Any thoughts?

gregmcrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005   #2
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1984
Mine's doing the exact same thing; which kind of sucks, but short of powdercoating or rhino lining the whole thing (Alex H has done this), I think you gotta live with it. I'm not sure priming and re-painting would hold up much longer.

Maybe Alex will post what he paid to rhino-coat his rack

El Flaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005   #3
Englewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
mescalimick had a custom rack done for his Tacoma, and they rhino-lined it or whatever. Mike, how much extra did that cost?
Join up, suckas.

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid."
- Soren Kierkegaard
Caspian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005   #4
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Yeah, the paint used by Remuda sucks. After mine failed I scraped it to bare metal, primed it and painted it again. It held up a little better than the original, but needs it badly agian. Powder or Line-ex/ Rhino is the way to go, but very pricey. Figure on spending almost as much as the rack cost new to have it coated.
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005   #5
I had Remuda LineX mine. I think it cost $180 or around there. Its expensive but you will never need to paint again.
mescalimick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005   #6
Is powder coating ridiculously expensive? I just heard of it the other day. I don't want to go rhino, the rack heavy enough.
Old 03-31-2005   #7
Yo Greg,
Hope you are well. I just got a Remuda rack in the fall and it is fading/chipping as well. Powder coating is way expensive. I was thinking about using a grinder to take it down to the metal (or close) and then painting it with an enamel (oil based) paint with a brush. It might not look the best, but if it is a warm day when oyu paint, I bet it would be bomber.

Come visit.

sward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005   #8
Systems & Process Design, Colorado

I Line-Xed the bed of my truck... but not the rack. My paint is chipping and looking pretty sad too.
alexhenes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005   #9
Powdercoat your remuda!

Hey Sward, I'm in, it's been too long.
I just got an estimate on Powder Coating my remuda rack in denver $175. www.premiercoatingsco.com (talk to Tony). He saw my rack and shot paint job. He can do just about any color and textures too. Here's the hitch. if you have it painted already, you have to SANDBLAST ($100 at Alpine somethingthing or other) the entire thing first. Other than the $$ the process should only take an afternoon. If anyone is buying a remuda rack, I would recommend having them not paint it, and driving right over to a place like Premier Coatings (on a sunny day so it doesn't rust). The remuda paint job is sure to go to sh!t. Other than that...NICE RACK Remuda!
Old 04-01-2005   #10
Durabak is another product you should consider. It is the same as the Herculiner (sp?) spray-in bedliner, but you buy it by the gallon and apply it with a roller. A gallon would be way more than you would need. Find someone else that need to do the same to their rack and split a gallon. Prices range from $80 to $120 + shipping depending on color, texture and if you want UV protectant. The company is located in Aurora; therefore, it could be possible to forgo the shipping costs.

D_T is offline   Reply With Quote