Mountain Buzz banner

How high is TOO high on the Salt?

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  stinginrivers 
#1 ·
We are still contemplating running the Salt this weekend. I am concerned that another big rain could make it spike again.

Anyone have thoughts on when it becomes unsafe to boat? I can only picture a couple of rapids that might get really scary.

If it was just kayaks I might not fret...

#4 ·
It definatley depends on the rafters skill level but if I remember correctly a friend of mine said he ran it around 30,000 back in the mid 90's when it ran huge. Oh by the way he was rowing a cat, not sure the size.

I wish I had better info for you.

Something else to think about if you do go down make sure you look at your campsites thinking about a huge spike I also have some friends that same year lose a bunch of gear when the river spiked to 15,000.

Hope that helps

Danny

#5 ·
I don't remember the forest service river ranger guys name but he would know and from my experience will be straight forward about it. A great back up would be the verde down to Horseshoe res. the shuttle is a bitch but it is a nice run that I have done up to 10k and it could take about as much as 50k without things getting to crazy.

Peter

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.