Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 03-05-2012   #1
Shelby, North Carolina
Paddling Since: 2012
How hard would it be for a 9 year old to paddle a Remix 59?

I know he would be better off in a Remix 47, but tring to find a boat to work for both my son and wife. He is 9 years old and 72 lbs at the moment. Just wondering if i added enough extra padding, sweet cheeks, etc. in it would he be ok, or would he still struggle pretty badly in a remix 59?

GosuPaintballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012   #2
Steamboat Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1986
The two major limiting factors for kids in kayaks are the depth of the boat at the cockpit and the width of the boat at the seat. If the cockpit is too tall it is super hard for smaller paddlers to reach the thigh braces as well as reach over the sides of the boat to paddle or try to roll. The wider boats are more stable but they make it hard to lean the boat on edge, especially for smaller paddlers. You can make the boat "fit" by adding lots of padding in the cockpit but if it is too big it will be hard to control.

All that being said, I started paddling at 13 in a Hollowform that was 13' long and I could basicly lay down inside the front of the boat. A big kayak is still better than no kayak but if you can get a smaller boat your son will be happy with a more appropriate sized craft. Odds are if he really likes paddling you will be buying a second boat soon anyway.

boatdziner is offline   Reply With Quote

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off