Old 12-27-2004   #11
crested butte, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
Send a message via Yahoo to milo
bowen, have you hit any high volume creeks in CHILE?... are you headed home soon? catch the PALGUIN at high water? PUESCO? the puesco rips huh?!!!! i found it to be fun and scarey at the same time....we got it high though.....hope all is well.....peace

milo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2004   #12
Englewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
100% on the Green is about 216 cfs +/- depending on whether you have a summer 100 or winter 100. With 350 those slides would get sticky. I watched a friend swim out of Scream Machine at 150% once. Nies' Pieces just about broke his tailbone.

I think Alan got it pretty close when he said it's gradient vs. volume. I'd add the size of the streambed to that, as well. Rivers can be funny - the Watauga (greatest creek ever, maybe) is really more of a river - it's really wide, but every single move is a boof, there must be 200 boofs on that run, and it's almost all wider than the Numbers - yet it's definitely a creek run. If you can't boof, you're gonna pin for sure. Go figure. Few eddies or big-water features and it's high volume. But if there are big-water features, how can it really be a creek....?

In 2002 I saw Lake Creek at those levels too. Scariest thing I've seen yet in Colorado. That was serious high volume!

Join up, suckas.

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid."
- Soren Kierkegaard
Caspian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2004   #13
Lewiston, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1997
Yeah, 216 cfs sounds right for 100% on the green. I think the guy that led me down the first time told me those lower numbers, but most people say 220ish. I couldn't remember which one was right last night.

I agree Watauga is a classic. Maybe my favorite, too. It is super fun with more water. Hydro can get a little nasty though.
alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2004   #14
Geologist, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1991
Hard creek into Hazard creek into the Little Salmon at peak!
jonny water is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2004   #15
continuous creeks vs high volume

I am a comfortable boating the green upto about 150-170%. 200% is a a full on river. I got on it last friday at 240%, highest I been on it, and was scared. No more using water to bounce off of rocks just alot of water. Gore at low flows under 900 is creekier river and more of what I would consider a high volume semi creekish thing. At higher flows it is more a river in my mind. I thingk of high vs low volumes creek that changes character is big creek in tn. Still continous no matter what level but either technical under 3' or a steep, high volume river at 3'5" or more. Same with Upper south boulder at like 350ish cfs and Big south on some of the rapids had more of a high volume feeling to it.
russllmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2004   #16
oh yeah
thanks 'yall,

lake creek at 1500 gives me a pretty good answer to my question. you wouldn't take a riot sniper in there at that level. just as you might not want a salto on the upper most reaches of the clear creek. this also clears up some confusion on gore; around 900 it transitions from a high volume creek to a river. so it seems that gradient over 150 fpm combined with 500+ cfs equals a high volume creek or river. such that something with that gradient and volume loses its creek feel. might the upper yough be a high volume creek?

what is the gradient on lake creek and how high does it get run?

-johnny, where is hard and hazard creek and the little salmon? sounds like oregon?
danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2004   #17
The next zone, .
It seems as if you need supplemental flows to get a “high volume” creek. Lake up here on the Ark can be a high volume creek (when they are pumping) – or a low volume one (right marco ) – the best days up there are at 500 – 800 cfs. This would make it a “high volume” creek for Colorado.

Off the topic anyone know who has run Lake at the highest level? Not just the upper stuff or a couple of the drops but the entire enchilada. Old war stories told around the camp fire are of 1300 – 1500 cfs runs. The highest that I have seen it in a boat is about 800 or so. Some of us went up there a few years ago with boats when it was about 1800 - 2200 cfs. One look and we all were beer drinking – not boating.
Jahve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2004   #18
Boise, Idaho
Hard creek runs into Hazard creek which runs into the little Salmon which runs into the Main Salmon in Riggins ID. The creeks are a little north of McCall ID.
ID Surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2004   #19
The next zone, .
Lake is not that steep until you get down to the Brains to Caldron section. The upper stuff – from above Tombstone to about NIMBY is super fun at 1200 – 1500 cfs. The scariest looking rapid at those levels is Kiss Me just below the Paralyzer and may have to be run in the same sitting. I love to think about a run on lake at these levels. Especially in December . Not sure if I will have the same feelings in June.
Jahve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2005   #20
Asheville, North Carolina
Paddling Since: 98
Milo, Most of the flows Ive seen out here have been very manageable. We had some high water on the Laja and Llancahue early in the game but most stuff like the Palguin has stabilized to a normal summer flow. Lots of fun and were going to Puesco manana. Any runs on the Chukar Narrows this winter?

bowen is offline   Reply With Quote