Old 09-12-2004   #1
Flight School Manager
How do I stop my Huka from swapping ends?

I am having a hell of a time keeping my Huka going straight through rapids. It keeps turning unexpectedly and I end up running rapids backwards. I have moved the seat all the way forward. What else can I do?

Could I be too heavy for the Huka? I weigh 220 pounds and am 6 ft tall.

If I tighten the back band foward, would that make a difference?

slimerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2004   #2
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
I don't paddle a Huka, and I don't know the paddler ranges on the boat, but try this: move the seat to a centered, or even further back position. at one point I tried moving the seat in my creek boat way forward thinking that it would boof more easily, and be less suseptible to squirting out of holes. But all this really accomplished was making the boat way squirley; ie dropping rapids backwards. I have found that keeping the seat about centered, and maintaining a forward, aggressive body position helps me keep my line through rapids (not always). Hope that works for you.

CGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2004   #3
I agree with the other responder.

I thought I was too far back on my GUS. Right before running 100 fpm creek in PA I moved the seat forward. It was the scary trip I had in that GUS. The boat was squirrelly. Try a center position for seat and an aggressive posture.
blue super fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2004   #4
Having paddled the Huka alot and being 180lbs, I would say you are on the upper end of the weight range but by no means TOO heavy for that boat. Like the other posters said, center position might help.... personally I paddle with my seat just forward of center for creeking. Try a few positions and see what works best for you.

Also, I dont know what your paddling skills are like but it could very well be a matter of technique and experience.... Many paddlers struggle with keeping their boat straight when learning and progressing. Just keep paddling and itll all come together!
Meng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2004   #5
crested butte, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
Send a message via Yahoo to milo
meng, who are your boys that are interested in the "HOLE"...?? oh yeah,.... put your seat in the center position and keep your chin forward.....enjoy your's called "play kayaking"
milo is offline   Reply With Quote