Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 09-07-2004   #1
How dangerous is Frog's Rock Rapid on Ark/Fractions?

I haven't found Frog's Rock Rapid on the Fractions section of the Ark to be that difficult/dangerous. But, I've heard that some people have died there. It looks like the screw up factor can be bad at certain water levels.

I'm thinking of taking low intermediates on that run next year.

Any comments?

cstork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2004   #2
Send a message via AIM to pablito Send a message via MSN to pablito Send a message via Yahoo to pablito
Frog Rock

So here's the deal with frog rock, the kyakable lines are fairly easy straightforward, and not really to challenging. The danger of this rapid is the failure to make the move to the left at the end. The right side is bad news. It features two large undercuts with a sieve in the middle, I have heard of people swimming through this sieve and being ok, but unfortunately that is not always the case. Three people I know of have lost their lives to this hazard, all commercial rafters. One was a 12 year old boy who swam into the sieve after his raft flipped, and the other two were a couple of newlyweds who swam into the sieve after their raft flipped. Once in the sieve, little can be done to contact/recover the victims. In both cases of the fatalities, the water level was around 700 cfs and in order to enact the recoveries, water had to be shut off from upstream to a level of around 250 cfs. The hazard of this rapid is truly avoidable with proper skills, but most commercial outfitters in the valley tend to portage the rapid at lower flows due to the significant hazard. Right now would be a good time to go look at the rapid to see the featurtes I am taking about, and if it looks anything like it did last winter, the sieve/undercuts are full of debris, in other words a nasty place to be. Well, I hope this answers your question, but for the most part, it is an easy rapid with conqequences that can quickly become unsurvivable.

pablito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2004   #3
What Pablito says is right. If you run it next season and the water is over 700 or so, you can just run the left side of the rapid. It will be a little bumpy over the rocks but can be done with minimal moves. You avoid the right side all together that way. At lower water, the left side isn't there and you only have the right to left move to avoid the danger.
Like it or not, all of us are the result of a sexual act.
Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote