Old 05-06-2009   #1
Come and open the gate
denver, Colorado
how cold is it on the colorado right now

looking at making my first run in the new raft this weekend, thinking pumphouse to rancho. ive never been this early in the year and am wondering how cold it will feel.

i see the water temps have been between 44 and 50 or so this week, air temps in the mid-upper 60s for the high. partly cloudy, prob no rain. i understand these values could change greatly affecting how cold it will feel.
i have a few splash jackets, but nowhere near enough for everyone who will be in the boat.

will people be ok in light jackets when they need them? is it entirely dependant on the sun/clouds that day

stribtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009   #2
Carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
I would say the people that get the coldest easiest should wear the splash jackets during the rapid sections as there aren' too too many.

Other than that layer with synthetic fibers such as fleece, capilene, etc. I also think wearing wool socks under your booties is good cause when wool gets wet it retains its heat. Wet cotton ain't no good for anyone.

just bring layers that are readily available in a dry box/bag so that you can add layers and shed them quickly and easily...

It will all depend on how the sun and clouds are on that day...I would imagine the gradient between sun and shade will be very noticeable...

calendar16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009   #3
Edwards, Colorado
During cold water season you might also want to think about how people will fare if they end up in the water. It happens.
SBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009   #4
Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 93
Hey striptw, I am planning on an early season trip up there this weekend too. I want to get my son on the river before the water gets up.

I expect it to be nice this weekend, but I will plan for the worst. It could start snowing at any time up there and you should be prepared for a isolated local storm, just in case. So I will have full on winter gear on the raft just in case.

Maybe we can help each other with shuttles? I tenitively plan on heading up Friday afternoon after my son gets out of school. I will launch on Saturday.
Snowhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009   #5
Grand Junction, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2009
I was on the town section here in Junction last Sun during the rain and it wasn’t too bad. I’m still learning so I was in the water A LOT.
Rschap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009   #6
Winter Park, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
I ran pumphouse to rancho on friday and did fine with fleece. Air temp was 56-58 and overcast. Get an early start to avoid wind.

bigwatertoby is offline   Reply With Quote