Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 04-29-2013   #11
Pagosa Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1971
Chris was one of the finest and miss her dearly. RMRE was very lucky to have had a few great years with her!!

garyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013   #12
Thanks for sharing now I can pass the story on.

sj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013   #13
boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1983
Thanks Jan....brings back memories of Dolores river runs back when it ran on a regular basis....pre-McPhee.....

I can just picture the early morning campfire....and Chris's emergence from the tent with no idea that she was covered in feathers...just looking for some coffee to warm her up after that cold night's sleep....then...the moment of her new river handle to be emerges from Mike's mouth on a whim.....Chicken Raper!

I'm rolling on the floor now just picturing it....

Then to have followed that up with the amazing rescue at Stateline which i can only imagine.....moments of peril followed by sighs of relief that nobody died....epic to say the least....

so cool that her handle got transferred to the rapid.....and so fitting....

now if we could just convince the the McPhee dam controller to open the gate, I could go down for my dental check up at Snaggletooth.....I schedule the appointment every year, but the dentist never calls me back!

Thanks for sharing
randowhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013   #14
poudreraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013   #15
Old Guy in a PFD
Tucson, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1967
I wasn't going to add this Post Script to the story, but what the hell............

Later that year, when we were running pump house every weekend (every damn weekend!) and the bar at State Bridge was doing landslide business on Sunday afternoons, we rolled in with our usual suspects.

After a round or two of Jelly beans (do not be fooled by the name, my spirit left my body the first time because of incautious contact with them) Chicken Raper was sitting at one of the tables in the bar, as usual, without trying, being the life of the party.

Now, this is in the bar. Not the "restaurant". The restaurant where they served everything but eggs and chicken. Honest. I don't recall ever seeing any poultry on the menu, around the place, and for damn sure, no eggs. None. Zip. Zero.

In any case, Chicken raper said something about the restroom and got up from her chair. And big Mike pointed to the floor under her chair. Where a broken raw egg was oozing into a rancid puddle.

Any doubts about her river name were instantly dissolved. And the mystery of how that egg came to be there, under that particular chair where Chicken raper chose to sit, remains unsolved.

She always accused Mike of leaving the egg, but the fact is, Mike had no more ability to carry an egg unbroken for two days than I could run Snaggle tooth without breaking something.
Schutzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013   #16
Paddling Since: 96
Thanks for this.

Phil U. is online now   Reply With Quote