Old 08-26-2005   #21
Laramie, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1992
does this mean I get 4 days of rental, since I was on a multiday trip with no outfitting, trying to attached rolled up towels in the boat the first night in camp when I should have been enjoying coctails??
So you didn't even bother checking the outfitting until you were already on a multi-day run? You're a total jackass. Especially for posting this drivel on the buzz when you could have resolved it with the shop in person. Too chicken shit to take it up with them directly huh? Also, as someone who has worked in a paddle shop before, it is common for a boat to go out without hip pads unless specifically asked for.

badkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005   #22
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
off base

I think you are off base Roper. You had "someone else" pick up a boat for you and paid $65 for a demo boat for a multiday trip and you never sat in it once to outfit it before you were throwing ends in the middle of nowhere? Absolutely every boat I have ever been in needs tweaks to get it right, and I usually do it before I paddle. Most times I head out and expect to paddle someone elses boat, or a new boat I bring some foam, duct tape, and maybe some spay glue, or at least sit in the boat and see if it fits. I have bits of foam in my gear box just for that.

As for demo boats, every tom, dick and harry takes the boats out, and usually they get beat up, the outfitting gets f'ed up, or lost, and most foam goes the way of the river within a few swims. All the year end demo boats that have seen at gear swaps have all been beat to shit and in need to outfitting repair to boat.

If you want a brand new boat you have to buy one.

As for the shop in question, I have had nothing but great service, great help, cool deals on rentals for boats, paddles, duckies etc at a very reasonable price. They rock. Just because you didn't check your boat before you got on the river doesn't mean they suck. I'd be pissed if the boat didn't fit right, but I'd be pissed at myself for not outfitting / checking the boat before bringing it on the river.

deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005   #23

This sounds kind of fimilar to me........
I think I may be the shop person that sent that boat out and I specificaly asked the person picking up a boat for someone doing a Gates trip if they wanted hippads for the boat as it didn't have them in it and was told "no I don't think there will be needed"

If it was me I'll say sorry dude and if it was'nt me bummer. You should have reserved, fitted the boat yourself OR picked it up yourself.

IE: phone ringing>>> hello, You wnat to rent a boat, sure we have it, you want foam, sure, footbag, sure, hippads, sure, skirt, sure ......... you get the picture.
"I just stood there and watched the whole thing happen!!!"
Swim team capt. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005   #24
steamboat, Colorado

If you rent equipment that you want to fit and don't pick it up yourself, you look like an idiot for complaining about it not fitting.

You wouldn't complain about your ski boot fit if you didn't try them on first.
You wouldn't complain about a drytop, helmet, pfd, or any other piece of gear not fitting if you didn't try it on first.

As far as advice on how to handle this: quit crying like a baby.
latenightjoneser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005   #25
Reminds me of a time I asked a friend to borrow a boat to go on a Shoshone run when I was first starting out. He let me borrow his brothers (one season old) Riot Savage. I thought that was cool so I threw it on the roof as I left town. When I got to the put in I saw it had no bulk head or foot pegs, no float bags and no hip pads.

I tape in some shoes for pads and went with no foot support and had the worst run of my life. I was swimming in my boat and my skirt was way too loose. Every time I rolled I came out of my boat.

It was a bad trip but also one that I learned the most from. If you are gonna borrow or demo a boat, outfit it first. I always have plenty of foam around to avoid this problem for me or anyone I am with.

It was a hard lesson but a good one to learn.
onebakedpotato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005   #26
"When we got to first night camp on a 4 day trip we realized that the hip pads were missing (I mean nothing but the thin plastic and velcro strips)"

Thats a drag. Heres a way to prevent that in the future. Try the boat you're going to pay money to demo before you're at day 1 camp, I dunno maybe at the kayak store? If you dont, I dont see how you can bitch about it not fitting. Unless you just feel the need to bitch about something. Or expected this boat to mysteriously be a one-size-fits-all?.

To bitch about a boat not fitting that you never bothered to try on until day 1 camp is whining, pure and simple. Its not their fault IMO its yours. Do you typically expect to run sections like gates of ladore in untested equipment? Was there any other gear you were "missing" because its "someone else's fault"?.

You dont even know the boat didnt come with the hip pads, and that they were lost on the drive there or something.

65$ is quite cheap for 4 days rental as far as I know. Boat alone is typically $25 a day or more.

Consider it a cheap lesson learned about taking responsibility for your own gear on river trips. Be it loaner, demo, new or whatever, be a big boy and take responsibility for your own gear. What you didnt have any extra foam or anything around to jam in there? Who's great planning was that?

Well at least you made it home to bitch about it so something worked right.

PhilBob is offline   Reply With Quote