Old 08-17-2005   #11
Front Range, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
What's the general feedback you're getting on the Jackson footbag system? I'm not affiliated in any way, BTW-- just trying to figure out what people's experiences have been: if there's anything I don't like about my boat, it's that no matter how I inflate, deflate, push, prod, or otherwise manipulate the thing, I can't seem to get it "right." My legs are going numb after about (literally) two minutes on the water, and I'm just about to pack it in and replace it with a foam bulkhead instead....

Don't mean to hijack, just thought you might have some insight??

Thank you

newby0616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005   #12
Preacher of the Profit Paddling Since: 1990

The Jackson Footbags are really cool. They might not be for everyone, some folks just perfer something different. But, in the right application they are perfect. Jackson has been pretty quite about any changes, but they have been happening. The hose length is longer, the pump is better, and the quality has been great. I was very nervous when they first came out. I'm not the quickest to jump onto new technology. But, over the past couple of seasons I've been blown away on how well the bags have held up.

Like just about anything in life different people prefer different things. Some like foam and others like the bag. If you want the same fit everytime you get in the boat, and have time to dial in you footing: than foam might be for you. If you chage boats, change shoes, and you want adjustability on the fly- get a Jackson Footbag.

They have been great for our rental fleet. With so many companies out there demanding customized foam to really enjoy the boat. A footbag is the only way to go for demoing. If we didn't have them: we'd be getting slammed on the net for not providing the perfect footfoam for every boat demo. Now we just throw and go.

One thing to make sure is that you set-up the bag. It's not a given that it will be perfect each time. You need to do a few of things to get the perfect fit.

1) Preshape the bag with your hands. Create a pocket on each side for your feet to slide into. Gives a nice comfy rap around toes.
2) Lock in your desired shape. Have the valve open before getting in. Make the shape you want by pushing your feet into the bag, and then close the valve.
3) Adjust your fit. Now add air until you get the support you desire.

It's as easy as 1,2,3.

You can go to for better instructions and details for performance. It's a great system, and the best footbag on the market.

I love to dance, but who needs the music- It throws me off.
Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005   #13
Thought-criminal, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000

You legs going numb has everything to do with your leg position and more importantly your backband impinging upon your sciatic nerve...the largest nerve in your body. It comes out of a plexus just behind your pelvis and if your backband is tight and low your legs will go numb. F with the position of your backband...or just loosen it up a bit.
I hope in the future Americans are thought of as a warlike, vicious people, because I bet a lot of high schools would pick "Americans" as their mascot. -Jack Handy
BastrdSonOfElvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005   #14
Snowmass ski patrol
If your hip pads arn't cut and trimmed right they can cut your femoral artery off causing your legs to go numb. I personally crank my back band as tight as it can go and havnt had a problem with circulation from that, but thats just me. If you can feel the front part of your hip pad pushing on the upper part of your thigh giver a little trim trim... As far as foot bags go there great for demo boats and people who dont know how to cut foam. I thought they were a great idea tell I actually got to use one and found it to be very comfy but far from high performance. Kind of like filling your bow with warm wet mud or poop, it feels good and squeshy around your feet tell you go and push against it while throwing down in a hole and it just goes ffffffaaarrrtttt and dosnt give you something solid to push against......
Good luck finding what works best for you.
Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005   #15
well......back to the point.

I'm certainly not going to be demoing or buying anything else at this shop, and it sounds like you know who you are. My money is as green and anybody's, and I hate getting ripped off (%$#& buyer beware) be a good business and don't hose the paying customer. I've spent money at you store, but I won't anymore.

As far as wanting a perfect fit and the fact that you hate it when people pick boats up for other people. I didn't expect a perfect fit, it's a demo boat for christ sake, and I wanted a complete one.

Thanks for taking my hard earned cash, as little as it may be!!
roper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005   #16
pnw, Washington
Roper, as an outsider looking in, I think you are being unreasonable. Take the free rental and outfit in the shop like Don advised.
gh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005   #17
does this mean I get 4 days of rental, since I was on a multiday trip with no outfitting, trying to attached rolled up towels in the boat the first night in camp when I should have been enjoying coctails??
roper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005   #18
Knife Fork of the Spoon Paddling Since: 1984
you mean you did not outfit w/ a coktail.... man this gets stranger by the post!!
Fuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005   #19
I will have to agree with gh but I am not exactly an outsider. I purchased my first boat from Don and John. I was definetly the pain in the ass customer. I must have gone back in there 10 times or more trying to get the outfitting right. I was quite certain they were going to start charging me for the hords of foam I was going through or for their time catering to my newbie whinning ass. They never did though. They did their best to make that damn boat fit and never bitched about it. I'm not saying their faces lit up with glee when I walked through door or anything but like Stiff said, one of the individuals there is no charmer, he does know his shit and won't feed you line of crap though.

For what its worth, I demo'd boats from several shops this year. None of them had hip pads. Fortunately I have a set of the Salamander hip pads, you might look into them, that way you can just put them in whichever boat you want and they are formed to you. Sounds like you were just a victim of holding your expectations higher than the industry standard.

After my recent experiences I think you should be happy there was a shop that your could actually get a boat from. I just got back from paddling on the Ottawa River and your only option for anything there is a long drive back in to the town of Ottawa (about 2 hours) or wait for Friday - Sunday for the Boatwerks trailer (which is great) to open. It made for a long night to replace some forgotten gear. It definetly made me respect the local shops we have here.
CoreyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005   #20
Geez Roper, make sure the next time you demo a boat that you are the one that picks it up at the shop. You can then sit in the boat and they can supply the outfitting you need. That's what most people do when they pick up the boat they are renting and have no issues. Had you gone in to pick up your own rental, you would not have anything to bitch about.

You wouldn't have anyone go pick up a rental mountain bike say, in Moab would you? Would the shop have to supply your pick up person a bag with different stems, handlebars, pedals and seats with their rental? No way! You get what you pick up at the shop.

Lighten up on the shop - you are more at fault than they are. Take them up on their offer and do it right, even if it isn't another 4 day rental. It's a fair offer from a good shop. Go have a cocktail.

Like it or not, all of us are the result of a sexual act.
Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote