Old 11-10-2006   #21
I love it. The guy goes down Gorilla upside down, gets knocked unconscious, and when he gains consciousness, he wants to continue the race.

It's a fine line between bravery and stupidity.

Yea, I was uncomfortable with the safety guy grabbing the helmet, but getting his mouth/nose above water was a priority.

Why did he go over Gorilla upsidedown anyway?

stof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006   #22
Here's what Nick wrote about the crash:

Basically, he was too far left going into the Notch and was rolled left. If you're never been on the Green Narrows, the lead-in to Gorilla is very complex and the Notch is super squirrly and causes the majority of crashes there. There is very little space between the Notch and the Flume (the main drop).

I paddled with Nick for the first time a week before the race on the Green. (He was racing when he crashed, BTW) He's a pretty gung-ho guy, but was safe when we boated. I won't speculate too much on how it all went down b/c I wasn't there and I wasn't knocked out, but I've had to roll up an unconscious paddler before and he was't the most friendly person in the world. When you get a concussion, you're not always able to think clearly/rationally.

There's definitely a lot to be learned from this accident. Particularly, acting quickly and decisively can save someone's ass. On any other day on the Green, he may have washed down a bunch of more class V before he got help. No matter how many times you run a drop cleanly, it's always a good idea to set proper safefy.

Curtis_Elwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006   #23
Self-Aggrandizing jackass
The Ranch, Colorado
Paddling Since: 04
Upon landing I was knocked unconscious, yet not ejected from my boat. (So technically I didn't swim!) I hit the back of my head hard. This scraped, scratched and knocked lose the internal foaming, yet didn't break the helmet as many believed. Thanks Grateful Heads!!! I broke three ribs, punctured my lung, which later collapsed and had to be re-inflated, cracked the upper bridge of my nose causing a sloppy red mess, dislocated my right clavicle, and really just got the whole life inside of me jingled up
But technically, he didn't swim...
Rock on brother...
heliodorus04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006   #24
Seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 1999
Send a message via AIM to JCKeck1
I think it was fine the way he was pulled out of the water, but I only watched the video once. Before c-spine precautions comes scene safety and in this case preventing Nick from going over class V Scream Machine (15 feet downstream for those who haven't been there) was more important than airway or c-spine. Once he's out of the water, then worry about airway and c-spine in the same thought. I know everyone is taught airway first in ABCs, but a great paramedic I know once said, "I don't really care to resusitate someone if I've made them a quad first." Excellent rescue and much better than the one in the other video.
JCKeck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006   #25
San Diego and Frisco, CO
Anybody know where beatdown num two was? The UCLA Californians have finally found it, and are curious.
Kimy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006   #26
Jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 94
Send a message via Yahoo to Gary E
Nice Job Toby.

Quick thinking to jump in and go after the boat. Toby is a great,experienced paddler, and one, any one of you people would beg to have watching your ass on any type of water. An unconcious paddler floating beyond speed trap is dead, PERIOD!

Don't critique a person making split second decision's in a envoirnment thats not a floor in someones office showing you how text book shit is suppose to happen. I doubt nick, even as dumb as he sounds cares how his life was saved and would gladly take the chance of getting his head ripped off in the same situation a second time.

ps- Nick sounds like a dumbass in his article. Second time running gorilla and in a race? Didn't swim? Yeah you died and came back to life. Because a serious, smart, veteran class 5 paddler made a split second decision to jump into class 5 after a boat he thought you still might be in.
Gary E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006   #27
Send a message via MSN to Jiberish
My friend got a speeding ticket going down floyd hill, when he asked why he was pulled over and not the people going around him they said "the kayaks were an easy target".

that sucks
Jiberish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006   #28
pnw, Washington
Gary, agreed. I would be happy to have Toby or Tommy look out for me.

My understanding is that the first thing he said after he came to was that he wanted to finish the race. Too funny.
"Yesterday I was clever and tried to change the world. Today I am wise and try to change myself." -Rumi
gh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006   #29
Englewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
Originally Posted by Gary E
An unconcious paddler floating beyond speed trap is dead, PERIOD!
Back in '04 I watched a friend get surfed in Scream Machine at 150% and he ended up swimming out. Based on the hits he took just going over Nies' Pieces, I would say that is absolutely the case. (FYI don't angle right at that level!) Also almost watched a guy go over Scream Machine upside down after going over the bars at Gorilla. I thought we were about to start chasing a corpse, but he rolled up. Turned out he had the paddle ripped out of one hand somewhere in there IIRC.

(Mike if you're reading, it was Putz and 8-Ball.)
Join up, suckas.

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid."
- Soren Kierkegaard
Caspian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006   #30
Evergreen, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1991
ok so maybe I am kind of a sick dude... But umm how about some people posting more videos of people getting beat down. Its kind of funny, makes me feel good about myself, and and it gives all of the safety patrolers something to talk about.

So um send us some more beat down videos!

benrodda is offline   Reply With Quote