Old 06-19-2009   #1
Rock Springs, Wyoming
Hoback River-WY

I was wondering if anyone has run the Hoback. How difficult is it...I'm fairly new to rafting, but feel really comfortable rowing my rig. Also, where are the put ins, take outs and how long of a run is it.

austinbrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009   #2
West By God, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1999
Its pretty easy but still a lot of fun. The only rapid of consequence is about a mile and a half below Granite Creek, which is where I typically put in. Still its not to hard, the run is generally down the right hand side. You can scout it from the road. The take out for a raft is Astoria on the Snake. You can take out immediately after the last bridge on the Hoback, but its a little bit difficult for rafts, and its only two more miles down to Astoria. The whole trip is 15-17 miles. You can also put in or takeout half way at Stinking Springs. To put in, turn onto the Granite Creek Road and put on at a pull of on the right and run the last 100 yards of Granite Creek.

Paddle Iraq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009   #3
I haven't run it in 8 years, but am not sure it is a great rafting run- if it is low enough to be manageable, it might be severly boat abusive, and if it is high enough to float over all the rocks, it might be a quick and potentially wild trip.

I wouldn't subject my raft to it unless I was very bored of all that the Snake had to offer and Greys as well.

All AW's site has to offer is:
Bondurant to Snake River (Hoback Canyon)

Class I-III
20 Miles
cdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009   #4
Jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1492
I'd have to agree with "cdw." The Hoback is alright for rafting when it's really high, but otherwise pretty ho-hum, especially in an oar rig. You also might find a couple of the really low bridges challenging at high water. Usually, paddle rafters are ducking down below the tubes for two of them. The Snake, Grey's, are better, and if you're feeling good, the Upper Gros Ventre is still at ~3ft on the unofficial bridge guage, which is a great rafting level, although it is pretty continuous IV- to IV at that level.
So many rivers, so little time..........
WyoPadlr1 is offline   Reply With Quote