Old 04-17-2008   #11
My fiance just read your post and gave me a good lecturing. Thanks a lot, dick.

Also, Dave Pizzuti is the saddest story i've ever heard. This is guy who still collects royalties for being in an airline commercial and appearing on a bic lighter, yet his wife made him move to michigan and start law school. He is lucky if he gets a couple days of boating in per year. He told me to make sure that I have something in writing that allows me to go boating before I enter into wedlock. Im taking his professional advise and drafting up my prenup soon.

Seriously Dude!
Kato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008   #12
The Road, Colorado
Paddling Since: '07
Send a message via Yahoo to Badazws6
Learn from others mistakes, don't get married!

Seriously... What's in it for you?

Life: Live it!
Badazws6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008   #13
Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
not all bad if they are trying to get there architecture degree so that you can paddle all day.
caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008   #14
Mad Scientist/Creeker
Peoples - you're missing the point, which doesn't surprise me considering the woman-less chimpanzees who are frequenting this thread right now (besides Kato), however, to clarify, she asked not that he stop kayaking but that he QUIT RUNNING CLASS V. This a philosophical question not a question of scrotum clenching as the un-evolved here are wont to understand, as that is their greatest fear having never actually spent the night with a woman with whom they respect and eventually find that they can not live with out.

The discussion here should not be revolving around the adolescent, "my woman will not let paddle enough" cliche, as any grown man should know not to enter into a commitment that would ever tighten the scrotum in that way... no, the discussion should be of a much deeper variety, a discussion of the merits of running class V versus the risks associated. If you don't have wife or children, just imagine your mother in their place and try to understand the true dilemma. Is it worth the risk? And we must think of this worth in the way that a wife and mother can understand if we are to help this nameless real estate agent with the initials JJH. And he does need our help.
Evan Stafford
Cub boater: "What do the spiders mean?" Old fart boater: "Trust your intuition." CRCII
RiverWrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008   #15
Eagle, Idaho
Paddling Since: '78
This is an interesting one. Just finished mine (literally).....although it was a little different. I was told where to go boating, who I could go boating with (or NOT), how long it was going to take, when I was supposed to be calling, what next weekend would look like, how I'm supposed to incorporate her into my weekend plans, how I was supposed to accomodate her needs while I was on the river (in the event she did come camping with us......but again, certain people could come, others couldn't). Oh yeah, and if we were on the river (and she was in a raft with other friends), It was expected that I paddle over to the raft pretty frequently to "make sure she's okay"......then when we stop for a little break, I was expected to get out of my boat and "shower her with affection"......EVERYTIME.

I can paddle when I want too now, with whomever, wherever, and on a friggen paco pad if I choose!! I'm all about helping the sig.other learn the sport and come along....but that doesn't mean I want to change everything about how I do it.

And 33 isn't old!!! what the hell??? I have plenty of things to "keep me cool" other than kayakin'.........such as modeling flannel shirts and long-johns for the Sears catalogs (less hair = more sought after in the older man modeling biz).
GoodTimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008   #16
Geez RW way to buzzkill. You however are right and to continue with the Buzzkill. Last year my teenage daughters best freind's dad died while paragliding at Golden. She called my daughter distraut and asked her to go veiw the body with her. My daughter said there was still blood comming out of his ears and she can't get that out of her head.

I only knew the guy a little yet his choices have rocked my little world. Wether it be tearful calls from the girls mother for parenting help or the look my daughter gives me everytime I put my boat on the car. So rest assured unless you are a total asshole and even your mother dose'nt like you. You will leave a wide swath of emotional pain behind you. And it sucks to be caught in that. Do what you gotta do boys and girls. sj
sj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008   #17
pnw, Washington
This is all just an early maritial stage...later they send you out hoping you will not return.
"Yesterday I was clever and tried to change the world. Today I am wise and try to change myself." -Rumi
gh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008   #18
Owner: Class 5 Carvings
The Fort, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
So here is what I propose, there are a couple options here, like most said find a Kayak chick, ya that doesn't really happen and they still won't give in on the class V goods issue, especially once they know what it's all about. Number two, everyone needs a shuttle bunny or some camping chicken, so bring them with, although your not directly addressing the class V issue she doesn't feel left, but in honesty that doesn't work well either, ladies don't like to hang out with all your drunk friends around a campfire, plus then who's home making money while your away? Third, ditch the chicks for summer, winter is cuddle time anyway, but how many times can you drive to Greeley for a little glory hole action? Fourth, leave all your gear with a friend and tell you woman your going jogging!! Have your friend pick you up a block away, and the ladies are none the wiser. Good luck if your spotted though. Lastly and think this is the one, tell you woman that AW downgraded all the favorite class V gnar you love to paddle to class IV this year. Your woman is going to let you paddle, jut not class V so just be a sandbagger and call everything you want to run a class IV adventure. If your woman doesn't know anything about the rivers your on, or how to read the guide book, your in the clear, if she already has years of summer training and knows what the Big South is all about, your going to have to be hoss and tell her your workout schedule all winter has honed your muscles specifically to making all the moves on that run, and because of this, not only the AW down grade, but because of these muscles the run will only be a IV in your book. I think this will solve your solution. Maybe the dialouge about too much water is a good one to have as well. "But baby, it's only class V when it's creeky and pinny, but there is 10 times as much water running down as there normally is, so it's just like big water excitement now, don't worry I'll be fine, its only a class IV adventure!"

Good Luck fellow kayakers, my lady has yet to see her first summer, good luck to her too!!

P the K
Paul the Kayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008   #19
surrounded by mountains, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1981
what is old?

Per an earlier comment, it is kind of sad that anyone would be considered old at 33. Come on! ... That is not even hitting our prime yet. My advise:

1) although opposites may attract, they do not last. That said, I am still looking for a mature and responsible boating chick myself.

2) If married, be sure to own life and health insurance to take care of your family and yourself in the event of accident or death. Also, Disability Insurance is wise if you can afford it. Particularly if you are the sole provider.

3) Even with kids and being a single parent I still boat class V and have, occassionally, some VI. If that is what you are accustomed to and enjoy, then it is who you are. I even often boat solo class V (only because I am somtetimes anxious to go when no one else is available or interested, and I need to release some stress). I say, just be smart about your abilities. Personally, I think that it is only with many years experience (i.e. perhaps beyond the age of 33 and 20+ years boating experience) that you develop mature and reliable intuition. That said, if it scares your wife then don't talk or brag about it in front of her. Just make sure you have her taken care of if you get chundered to bits. Also, I encourage anyone with kids to teach them to kayak beginning as early an age as possible. The family that plays together stays together. And, if you die they will at least understand that you did so doing what you loved.

As the Jackson video says, "You don't stop kayaking when you get old. You get old when you stop kayaking."

Ken Vanatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008   #20
Well, ES's sage comments, once again, seem to be lost in these lengthy missives. The problem is not going boating, it's boating class five. I'll try to draw on my not-so-lengthy five years of marriage for a tip here.

We know that the fairer sex is not so swayed by analytical reasoning alone. We need to also appeal to their heartstrings. Here is my suggestion. Our poor comrade makes a nice dinner accompanied by a fine bottle of Fume Blanc. When the warmth kicks in let the compliments fly. Any woman worth her salt will reciprocate with a "you too baby, are the light of my life," or some such garbage. This is his opportunity to discuss the fact that the man he is, lo, the man she loves, is a class V boater; And that the light she sees in his kindred soul will dim if it is not allowed to burn freely on Double Trouble.

Yes I eat bullshit and Cheerios for breakfast.

I will destroy you.
routter is offline   Reply With Quote

class v